Chapter Twenty-Three

Hello Lovely Reader(s), *Grabs megaphone* and now, for ONE of the most highly anticipated chapters:

My eyes remain locked on Mel's grave. Never once wavering to the one right next to hers.

Amelia Renée Averell...

Her name is written boldly on the grey tombstone, moss lining the edges and surface.

(13th of December, 1994 - 25th of May, 2015)

She died over a year ago. I take in a reluctant cold breath as I taslow and careful steps towards her tombstone. My intake of breath is sharp as I read the rest of the inscription.

Devoted daughter, loving sister and beautiful person.

I kneel by her grave and trace my index finger over her name, the cool surface denting my finger.

R.I.P.

Well, I can't say for a fact she is considering she's talking to me but I won't let her brother know this.

Gosh, I was such a fool, quick to accuse and think she was Max's love. Well she was but in a different way. I take back my hand and bury my face in them.

Rena you're so stupid and insensitive.

I feel Max's strong hands on my bare shoulder, squeezing gentling and causing sparks to dent my skin, a beautiful feeling washing over me and making me to take my hands out of my face and stand up.

"How did she die?" I force the words out of my mouth. They come out like a croak. I stare down at my hands, ashamed to look Max in the eyes. I judged him so quickly.

Max takes my face in his hands, cupping it and causing me to look up at him. His eyes are softer now, the brown duller but with a glint of something I can't read in them. He doesn't look at in his usual cold way, instead he holds my eyes in a passive way.

"I'll tell you that." He begins, his words dismissive and edgy "But first, I want you to meet my father. Not exactly in that way but his grave is right next to Melia's."

Max moves his hands away from my face and he takes his left hand in my right one, tugging me towards his father's grave while I ensure the cloth around me stays tighter around my chest with my left hand.

He takes quiet steps towards his father's grave and I am faced with a bigger tombstone than Mel's. No surprise though considering that his father was an Alpha.

Alpha Martin Averell

(10th of January 1970 - 23rd of July, 2016)

23rd of July...

That was about two weeks before Max kidnapped my father. I remember because my wedding to Logan was on the 6th of August.

Devoted Alpha, Loving Husband and Great Father...

R.I.P.

I stare at the tombstone, unsure what to say. Max's father's death just happened recently. It's still fresh. I remember coming to this pack and everyone being in mourning, everyone wearing black and Max forcing me to oblige.

"There are a lot of things you don't know." Max begins, his words hollow and husky as his hands leave mine, not sparing me a single glance as I look up at him, my eyes fixated on his profile. "I will tell you all you want me to because I don't see the need to cover up other people's deeds anymore."

"Other people like my father.. " I breathe out, my voice breaking within itself as Max looks at me, his eyes literally baring my soul as I see the anger rising in them, his jaw tightening.