Part 16

Handing him an envelope, Khushi meekly said, "Sir this is for you".

Raising his eyebrows, "Are you scared already, another resignation letter? What new drama are you trying to create now?? WHAT is this Ms.Gupta??"

"Sir, please open it. "

Both standing across the desk, he stared at Khushi, while opening the envelope, "What nonsense is this, .." when a bunch of notes slipped from the envelope. Both put forward their hands to catch, the notes slipped by, but Khushis hands were held tight, warm n snug, enclosed in Arnavs hands. Both froze, current running through their spine. Time stood still and once again both were unawares of the passage of time, immersed in each other's eyes.

Recovering her senses, Khushi pulled her hands gently, causing Arnav to come out of his reverie.

"Sir, its 25000 rs.... ", not getting any reaction she continued, "sir, car damage?..." she tried to remind him

"What the.. " was all ASR could say, his mind completely blank..

Sudden rage took over him, he walked in two strides across the table, and shouted , "How dare u Khushi Kumaari Gupta? And How could you arrange for the money? Tell me tell me", angered by his loss of sense around her, he snarled "It is not a surprise for girls of your kind isn't it? Did you take it from your rich brother Kushal? Or did you ask you paying guest, whom you are all set to marry,.."

Before he could continue, Khushi closed her ears and shouted, "Stop Mr.Raizada, please stop. What makes you think I am marrying. Who has put that into your head. Hey Devi Maiyya maaf karna (please excuse), yuck, I cant even think of it in my dreams. Mr.Raizada, just because we don't have your status, don't think we would stoop to any level. We care two hoots for all the status and money, as long as our family is together. And how can I even think of marrying after breaking my jijis marriage? It will never happen.."

Unknown to him Arnav felt relief at her answer. But soon guilt took over him realising how much misery he has caused by his actions,..

"Now coming to how I got it, I have not met Kushal bhai after the Rakhi ceremony in your house. Who else, ah, yes our PG, where will he get the money, he is a young lawyer who is as hard working as any of us and half the time he is out on client visits. If you are still interested, then listen, I have been saving since we started the sweet business, taking tuitions for children, teaching dance for some kids and any spare time I manage to get, you will find me working with Happy ji in his garage doing all odd jobs I can lay my hands on. I have just been asked to teach dance for some college girls for a diwali dance competition. We have been saving every penny come what may, it just didn't grow"

After her monologue, she turned around to leave,

ASR was taken back in time when he was struggling in his career. Somewhere he was not happy to have put her into so much pressure, but his heart swell with pride and called out, "Khushi... "

Khushis heart melted hearing her name in the most huskiest way with so much love. Suddenly, she heard loud dhak dhaks and involuntarily she turned. Arnav continued,

"Khushi you don't have to do this, take the money back." She was confused looking into his eyes. Was it concern or pity? Not the one to be pitied, she replied,

"Thank you Sir,. But only I know and my family knows how I have been slogging to save up. I know this money will not make any difference to you, it is just like a drop in ocean, but for me, it is a burden which I have been carrying ever since I have landed in Delhi. Please take it. "

Arnav just started at her blank, Khushi continued, "Now I shall take leave.", saying so she made her way out of his cabin, down the stairs, out of the AR building before she stood holding her heart tight to bring under control the turmoil in emotions..., What were these new feelings that she has been experiencing recently,..

Unlike normal days, dinner table at the Guptas was sombre. Confronting her Babuji about the marriage had given a headache to Buaji. Khushi spoke to him about getting into part time business course to further her studies, once the financial conditions improved.

"Babuji, after what has happened, I will not get married until jiji gets married. You can see, how with your blessings, we are trying to make a foothold in Delhi, which is not easy. I want to learn new things, get new experiences, but at the same time I promise I will not let go of my values and ethics Babuji." Then making an adorable face she said, " And one more thing Babuji, this time , make sure you look for two brothers. Jiji and I will be in same house" and she winked at Payal, who was protesting with her comment about getting married after her..

Her Babuji gave his full support for his daughters to be self sufficient, and encouraged them about building a career, which was not taken very well by the elder ladies of the house. Soon there was a cloth tied around Madhumati ji's head to control her headache,..

Shashi was well aware of his decision. He knew his daughters can never let him down. He also knew why the elder ladies were concerned, but he did not mention about his recent enquiry about Shyam to them, and what he had found during his visit to the court!!!