Part 24

A million thanks for all the comments and voting. Never expected this kinda response. Ever so grateful,... thanks.

Heres the next one, 

Everything came to a stand still, when Garima stood still with the glass in her hands crashing down. All eyes turned to her. Shashi and Garima stood, staring with eyes wide open at the doorway...

Shashi and Garima all looked at each other, stunned.......

And Kushal stood looking at his aunt and uncle... Faint memories flooded him. As a young boy of thirteen when he had last seen them, never ever had he imagined he would see any of his family again!!

In no time Garima was seen wailing, hugging, kissing, cuddling Kushal. "Where were you son all this time, where were you? We searched every nook and corner of Lucknow". Looking at Shashi she exclaimed, still crying "Do you see how my nephew has grown. Devi Maiyya, tera laak laak shukkar (A thousand thanks Devi maiyya). I never thought I will see you again. Your mum would be so proud of you today!!!."

Though a grown handsome man, there was no mistaking. All his dads features were striking. While Khushi turned out to be a beautiful blend of both her mums and dads appearance, Kushal traits and gestures were unmistakably that of dads.

Shashi was soon seen by Khushi's side holding her sideways. Both watched the scene unfold in front of them. Though Shashi knew the accident had caused Khushi to have forgotten all about her life before her parents passed away, somewhere she did remember few incidents.. That's when Shashi heard, "baba" and gave her an understanding nod. He took her to her brother and stood her in front of him...

Karan, Buaji, Payal saw with moist eyes, Khushi and Kushal hugging and crying. Both siblings meeting after fourteen years. When Kushal felt Khushi weight going heavy, he knew she was going to faint. Payal was by her side, and soon they settled her on the settee. Buaji was seen running to kitchen exclaiming, "Hai re nandkishore, Save my sanka devi..." while pouring water into a glass. Next few minutes saw Khushi come and go out of consciousness and repeating "baba, baba", with the rest of the crew concerned for her.

Kushal hugged Payal, both remembering all the frequent squabbles they had with Kushal making fun of the 'girly things' every time they visited each other!! And to top it, he did not now fail to mention "You girls change so much!!"

Long after, when Khushi was calm and collected, they were all settled and sat around the dining table along with Vivek and Sheela, Karan's dad and dad. When Garima had insisted on meeting the Mehtas, Karan had arranged for their visit, and soon they had come across. It was heartening to see Kushals family, who he had tried to search with all his heart.

Vivek recounted how Kushals entry into their family had got nothing but good luck. Fourteen years ago, the day the Mehtas were relocating to Delhi from Lucknow, they had stopped midway for refreshments, when Karan and Kunal had tried to stretch their legs, a bit too far perhaps. Hearing whimpering cries from the bushes, boys being boys, they tried to investigate. They took him to their parents, pulling him out of the bushes. After tending to the boy, Vivek had tried to get information from Kushal, but Kushal had not spoken a word and soon fainted off due to exhaustion. Not able to leave him alone they had taken him along to hand over to the police, but, soon realised he needed immediate medical assistance more than the police, with Kushal convulsing.

Once reaching Delhi, Sheela had looked after him lovingly. In the meantime Vivek had tried to reach out to the police in Lucknow about the boy they had found, but never got any reply. When days became weeks and weeks into months, the Mehtas feared if they had to let him go. All of them had taken to the boy and did not want to part with him. Soon, they decided to put him in school along with their boys Karan and Kunaal. Kushal never spoke a word. Only when they wanted to give him a name, did he mention Kushal Sharma. Very slowly Kushal started coming out of his shock, and spoke only to Vivek and even to this day Vivek recalled how reserved he was. The accident had had a great impact on the young mind..