Part 20

Hi all,

Thanks to all who have been voting my story and many more thanks to all who have been commenting. Honestly, it means a lot.

Request to all silent reader, Please vote, comment, I would love to hear if there is anyway I can improve, so critisisms welcome as well

Chapter 20

The whole venue turned pitch dark. Sudden silence engulfed the place where just a moment ago, everyone were merrying. All were glued to their chairs and waited with bated breath..

There came into view in the middle of the stage, one solitary diya (lamp). Such was the scene in front, it took their breaths away. It was out of this world. Stood in the middle of the stage was Khushi in all her glory, dressed in the most elegant traditional attire, with the light from the lamp shining on her face, enhancing her beauty tenfold.

Mesmerised, Arnav stood, walked towards her, just like a moth pulled by the fire, completely knocked out of his senses. He would have continued to walk, if not for the other diyas (lamps) coming into picture adorning the beautiful faces of the other dancers on either side of Khushi.

The charmer he was, Karan had managed to convince Khushi to give a performance at the Diwali function held at the Mehtas for his dear new bhabi Priti. When Khushi had run the idea with her college students, they were more enthusiastic than her and wouldn't want to loose this opportunity to show their skills.

The Raizadas were all present, however, owing to his client visit, Anjali missed out her dear cheating husband!! Mami however, was more interested in knowing why Arnav had accompanied them since nobody actually had forced, well well not force, nobody even bothered to invite him thinking he would anyway not accompany!! They were obviously shocked when he had exclaimed "Di, it is getting late, why are you all taking so much time today!!" knocking their heads off!!

Being diwali, Khushi had chosen an elegant dance piece where all the ladies held diyas through out the piece. The fusion of traditional and modern dance performance was enjoyed by one and all, It was "Classic" as one of the posh ladies watching had put it, beyond everyone's expectations. All eyes were on the stage.

Arnav could not take his eyes off her. Mesmerised by her, he was stuck to his spot through out the performance. Arnav came out of his reverie only to hear the loud applause and the shouts of "Once again!! Once again". Khushi and her fellow dancers bowed and made their way backstage, when Arnav heard, "Bhabhi, What did I tell you? Isn't she a beauty? she is the one I have been telling you about, I must talk to her today. Haayay I am so excited,.. "

Rage took over him. How dare you karan, How dare you, How dare you. Whats come over you Karan, You are so out of the project now. I will make sure you never meet her!!

Without thinking, he made his way to the backstage in two strides. Shocked at what he saw, he ran, only to pull Khushi out of the place, who was trying to douse the little fire that had just started on the floor with her foot. Pulling Khushi aside he looked around to find a towel hung on the railing. Throwing it on the fire, also throwing all caution in air, he held Khushi by her shoulders tight, and shouted, "Khushi, Have you gone mad? what on earth were you doing? Oh my, How did you think you could put it off with your feet, Do you have any idea what would have happened? What if something had happened to you Khushi?"

Overwhelmed with the barrage of questions fired at her, Khushi stood with her brain gone numb, staring at Arnav. Arnav loosened his grip and moved aside when the rest of the team came around enquiring, Getting her senses back, Khushi meekly replied "It was only a little fire from one of the diyas, I was a bit clumsy and it fell"

She looked back at Arnav, who by now had walked to the door. He turned around and said, "Khushi pack up your things, I will drop you off."

"Sir, nothings happened to my leg, I will be fine"

"Ms.Gupta, I will be waiting in my car"

Khushi now doubted if she really had any brain at all or was it true that she had a pea sized brain as claimed by ASR. Why was she not able to reply? How could she simply agree to go with him. All she could remember was the concern in his eyes, how he had panicked. There were altogether unknown emotions taken over by her heart, that her brain refused to recognise. She consoled herself, "obviously with so much serious thinking going on in my brain, my mouth got shut!!"

Engrossed in her thoughts, she turned deaf to all the teasing of her fellow group members. Bidding farewell, she came out only to be met by Nani.

"Aapne kamaal kar diya, It was a very beautiful performance. Next time you come to Raizada mansion, we sure should do some steps together,.. Reminds me of my younger days when I was so fond of dancing!!! " Nani told gently stroking her cheeks.

Still in a daze, Khushi managed to say "Definitely Nani ji we will do. I should be leaving now, otherwise sir will be more angry."

Now now now, this was definitely an interesting piece of information enough for Nani to set her thought process in motion. "Why should chote drop Khushi? Why was he here at all when none of us forced him today? Why is he going away soon after the performance? Why was he angry with her? Does he really hate that girl, or is there something hidden behind the mask of hatred? Hey Devi maiyya, are you showing any signs here? Please Devi maiyya, let it be true. How I wish a girl like Khushi... oh Devi maiyya, you show me more signs then, I will put a break to my thinking horse, Knowing my chote, I don't want to have too high hopes, but I hope Khushi bitiya will be safe."

The journey to Lakshmi Nagar was indeed very quiet. Both were tongue tied with their behaviour. Aggrieved with himself for displaying his emotional turbulence, ASR took out his anger in the only possible way he knew best. Pointing his finger to his head, he said, "That was the most stupid thing I have seen, Ms.Gupta. I knew there was very little up there, but I did not know it was nil just like your class or status. I know girls like you go about trying to get all the attention,.."

Khushi staggered back in her seat hearing his outburst. Tears rushed to her eyes, but she did not turn to him. Why was this man behind her class and status all the time?? Oh how she hated him. She hated him, she could set him ablaze with her eyes. The unshed tears glistened her eyes, without turning to him, she commanded, "Stop the car".

Now this was a shocker to ASR to hear her command. He stopped the car, but as soon as he saw she was trying to open the door, he locked them centrally. Having mellowed down after his outburst, he realised the impact of his words. However would he accept his fault? Not the one to bow down, he again shouted "Have you gone more nuts now?? It is very late in the night. Do you know how dangerous roads of Delhi can be? Don't you move " he was even louder

The hostility in her eyes were all the more stronger. She shouted, "It cant be worse than sitting with you here, listening to my low status, low class and little brain. Mr.Raizada, why are you like this? What do you want to prove to me? I tried to go away, still Devi maiyya does not want that. Why are you doing this to me?". The dam broke and her unshed tears poured down. Khushi covered her face with her palms and sobbed.

Arnav never hated himself this much before. He fisted his palm until his nails nearly bore into his skin. He could no longer see her sobbing, but not knowing what to do he whispered, "Khushi please.."

Khushi, did not bother to look at him, turned to see outside the window until the car stopped when they reached Gupta house. Arnav kept glancing at her every time she raised her hand to wipe her tears. Oh, how sorry he was. How so very sorry he was indeed. But why were words refusing to come out.

Next day morning ASR came in early, to catch Khushi alone and apologise. Well, after all the practicing through out the night, it should be damn easy, well at least he thought. However Khushi was not to be seen, and having lost his patience nearing lunch time, called his di, "Di, send Khushi to my cabin"

"Khushi hasn't come Chote. You want to discuss something, shall I come?"

Thats it dears, how was it,