Chapter 45 - The Beginning of the Selections

Time flew by quickly.

It was a great day today in Machen Town, the sky was partly cloudy revealing a bit of the brilliant azure sky that hid behind its cover, and the cold weather became warmer ushering a change into the atmosphere. The bright rays of the sun beamed down upon the earth once more bringing life to the town of snowy white.

The day of the Sky Splitting Sword School Talent Selection has now arrived, practitioners and wanderers could be seen making their way towards the central square of Machen Town, each dressed in their unique martial wear hoisting various assortments of weapons on their backs or carrying them by their sides.

The central square was an expansive area stretching out for hundreds of meters, standing proudly behind it was a vast mansion that was two times the size of the Feng Clan's Manor. The gates were opened, and an array of well-organized soldiers stood within the central square surrounding the two individuals who remained positioned at their center, they were the town lord and his wife.

Currently, they were both looking at the large platform that stood within the center of the square, watching as a group of men with shiny armor and bright flame-like capes escorted a few individuals dressed in sky blue robes towards the central area of the platform. Within that group were also the forms of Xuan Bei and Madam Xuan who traveled alongside a man who carried a dignifying presence, he wore a decorated robe with flame engraved pendant around his neck.

Following beside them was a group of mysterious origin, each of its individuals wore plain white robes carrying a unique type of aura. There was unique a woman who stood amongst this group, with an otherworldly kind of beauty capable of striking the hearts of if not all, most men.

As they positioned themselves at the center of the platform, a few significant influences could also be seen making their way to the platform. These influences where the groups from the Tang Clan, the Xin Clan, the Sheng Imperial Clan, the Southern Wasteland, and the Golden Dragon Empire, followed along by the various top-class influences and hidden sects.

They arranged themselves at opposing corners as the organizers being that of the Sky Splitting Sword Sect and Bright Flame Kingdom's forces remained positioned at the core.

A few practitioners seeing this scene muttered softly.

"To think that there would be such an arrangement in Machen Town's Talent Selection, why would so many big-time clans and major influences take such a keen interest here?" A vagabond said.

"Hmm, it seems today will not be an ordinary selection," A female practitioner said.

As the crowd chattered amongst themselves, soon, a commotion could be heard coming from behind them.

A group of men followed by prominent local figures walked on the scene. However, when some hidden forces saw who they were, they didn't have any reaction as the men did not go up the platform but went to the side of the Town Lord's group.

"Hey, isn't that the Xiang Family Clan?" A local woman said.

"Yeah, it looks like the genius of our town is still looking to participate against these guys. Do you think he still has a shot?" A man said as he seemed to have only a small amount of knowledge regarding the talents of the gathered influences.

"I'm not so sure... if it was his older brother, we might have been able to see an interesting show. But since it's just him, I'd say he won't last more than a few rounds," A woman said.

"What about the son of the Huan Clan?" Another local individual asked.

"I haven't heard any details regarding him for a while now, he's probably still out training and has yet to return," The other individual replied with an I don't know kind of expression.

The Town Lord seeing this group appeared quickly walked out from his shield of guards and welcomed them with a smile.

"I see that Clan Leader Xiang Tian and Clan Leader Huan Mang has made it on time. What do you think about the Talent Selections? Do you guys have any confidence in your sons coming out on top?" The Town Lord casually asked.

Huan Mang frowned as he did not reply but looked at the influence gathered on top of the central platform.

Xiang Tian hearing his question responded after cupping his hands, "Respected Town Lord, surely you jest! We may have stood a shot of claiming the top positions originally, but with the current situation..." As he said this, he cast his vision towards the stage and sighed before continuing.

"With these many powers gathered here, it's hard to say what's truly going to be happening..." Xiang Tian said in an unconfident tone of voice.

The Town Lord hearing his reply smiled as if he didn't listen to what he said or noticed Huan Mang's expression he continued, "Hmm, what about your son Xiang Shu? It's been a while since I've last seen him fight, how was his progress recently?"

"Haha! You could say that while he's still quite talented, he still misses quite far when compared to his older brother's previous glory," Xiang Tian replied lightly. However, if one looked carefully, one would see a look of disappointment hidden within his eyes as looked towards the back of his group and saw the indifferent form standing there.

"Is that so? Well I suppose that's too bad and here I was looking forward to seeing another 'Dark Horse' rising from my Machen Town," The Town Lord said as a look of sadness came on his face, he then muttered in a faintly audible tone, "Since a horse won't do, a 'Dark Mouse' won't be too bad would it?"

"Excuse me? Were you saying something?" Xiang Tian asked as if he had misheard.

"It's nothing, nothing! Brother Xiang!" The Town Lord replied while waving his hands casually.

Xiang Tian seeing this frowned as he clenched his fists tightly but did not make any actions.

As the wife of the Town Lord saw this, she grinned to herself as she thought, "Hmph! This husband of mine is certainly taking out his stress caused by these major characters on this fellow. I wonder how I should punish him later?"

As the group continued to converse the number of practitioners and wanderers who had gathered within the Central Square had reached its peak. The Sky Splitting Sword School noticing this had decided to begin the welcoming for the Talent Selection's official commencement.

However, right when they were about to get started there was a new group that made their way into the square they were all dressed in stylised scarlet robes with long dark gold sleeves, as their bright red hairs flowed gently with the wind. Leading this group were four people, two middle-aged men or rather now youthful looking men who both seemed to be at the peak of their 30's................

******

Want to read the Full Chapter? Visit any of the sites below:

Read on My Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ShadowsFinger

Read on my Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7BVPSD