19

Hoseok stood in the doorway to Yoongis piano room, his arms crossed as he silently watched his friend play. He hadn't heard it in such a long time, and although the piece was very upbeat and happy, the sound had a melancholy streak to it, as if it was causing the pianist great pain; and from the tears and the sounds of laughter coming from Yoongi, it was clear it was hurting him.

But he still played until he reached the finale, when he gently closed the lid over the keys and stood up, wiping his face on his sleeve.

"Yoongz," He called out softly so that he wouldn't startle his friend. Yoongi turned to face him, shock in his eyes.

"I didn't hear you come in," He said quietly, "When did you get here?"

"You were warming up," Hoseok said, "I haven't heard you play in so long, I'm sorry. I wanted to listen,"

Yoongi grunted and walked past him out of the room, "Let me get my shoes," He said, "Then we can go,"

"Hey, has Daisy heard you play, yet?" Hoseok asked, following him to the front door, "I think you should let her hear you play,"

Yoongi shook his head as he pulled his shoes on, "I only play for myself at the moment," He muttered, "Give me a chance to get back into it,"

Hoseok smiled and nodded, "Alright. Whatever is best for you,"

The lecture went quickly, for Yoongi, as he sat and dozed a little in his seat. He watched Daisy drawing in her sketchbook for a little before he fell asleep, and could see the same passion that he had seen before - the very same passion that was missing from her music.

Once the room had emptied, Yoongi headed to the music room, where he could hear Daisy practicing Fur Elise; the piece she had first played for him.

"Why this one?" He sighed as her familiar lackluster playing met his ears, "I thought I asked you to play Jimins music,"

"My father objected," She said simply, "This is his favourite,"

"It's not about what he wants you to play," Yoongi said with a sigh, "It's about what you want to play,"

Daisy shrugged, her dark hair falling over her shoulders as she leaned over the keys, looking like she'd rather be doing anything than be here playing.

Yoongi narrowed his eyes and told her to stop playing. This time, Daisy didn't even sigh, she simply took her hands from the keys and sat on the stool, her head bowed.

"I can't play it with passion," She said, "I don't even want to play," She finally turned to look at him, and her eyes were filled with tears, "I can't play other peoples songs like everyone wants me to. I have no attachment to them, at all!"

Yoongi raised his eyebrows and nodded, "Alright. I can understand that. So instead, write your own piece,"

This time, Daisy did sigh, "How am I going to do that when I have nothing to write about?"

"Just play whatever comes into your head," Yoongi pressed, "Even if it's a song by someone else, play your feelings. You can do it, try it now,"

Daisy stood up and glared at him, "If you want me to do it, Mr Musical Genius Min Yoongi, then show me how you do it, first!"

Yoongi glared back. He was starting to lose his patience with this girl, "I can't," He said through gritted teeth.

"Why the hell not?" She retorted back, "You expect me to do it, but you can't do it yourself?" She laughed harshly, "That is not something that I'm willing to accept. You don't do it, I don't do it,"

"You want me to play?" Yoongi cried, stomping towards her, "Fine! I'll play!" He moved in front of the piano, sitting heavily on the stool and lifting his hands to the keys. He sat motionless for a moment, before pressing his fingers gently on the keys.

"If I play my feelings right now, it might get a bit awkward for you," He muttered, "I'm not what everyone thinks I am. Are you okay with that?"

Daisy was silent, and Yoongi turned around to face her. She nodded a little, "That's fine. I'm not what everyone thinks I am, either,"

Yoongi stared at her for a moment, before turning his attention back to the piano in front of him. He gently pressed his fingers down on the keys, playing the first piece that came to him. He was a little shocked at himself for playing this, but considering how things had been developing lately, it was not a surprise that this piece was driving his fingers to play.

He would have preferred to have never played this piece, or even hear it ever again; or at least in the company of just himself in front of his very own grand piano at his home, but here he was, playing the piece with his passionless student standing in the room behind him.

He could feel a cry building up in his throat as he played on, and squeezed his eyes shut, trying to stop the tears from rolling down his cheeks. He had already cried today, he did not want to do it again in front of his student.

But he could not help himself; the tears left stains down his face as he cried, the crescendo of the song rising in time with his beating heart. His fingers danced almost as if he was once again playing this song for his precious Isabella, sadly lighting her way on the dark path towards her death. He could picture her sitting in the wheelchair, her eyes closed as she listened before she slowly relaxed and let out her last breath of air.

He was playing so hard that his fingers were beginning to cramp, just like on that day, even though it wasn't a particularly hard piece to play. As he reached the climax of the song, he was shocked when Daisy took a seat next to him on the stool and lifted her hands, playing along in a lower key. She kept her head lowered, her face covered by her hair as she accompanied him on this journey within the notes, and when the piece finally came to the finale, her timing and passion were almost matching that of Yoongi perfectly.

He slammed his hands down on the keys as she removed her own fingers, and covered his face with his hands as the notes died out, leaving the room in silence.

"Who did you lose?" Daisys voice was quiet, and Yoongi slowly lowered his hands to look at her. Her face was still hidden by her hair, but she reached up and moved her hand across her cheeks, as if she was crying, "I lost someone, too," She said, "And I know by that playing that you're in a lot of pain. Is it why you don't play anymore?"

Yoongi took a deep breath, looking down at the wedding band he still had on his finger. He clenched his fist and stood up.

"That's enough for today," He said gruffly, "I'll see you tomorrow,"

He quickly exited the room, and down the hallway. As soon as he got home, he grabbed the half empty bottle of whiskey sitting on his kitchen counter, and drained it in one go, before stumbling down the hallway of his tiny flat and falling onto his sofa.

He succumbed to sleep quickly.

---

AN: The piece of music Yoongi is playing is called "Winter's Heart" By Andrew James Johnson. Unfortunately, I couldn't find just the piano version on youtube to attach to the video, so I BEG you to look it up on spotify, because it is beautiful, and I'm completely in love with it!

I hope you're enjoying the story so far, I know it's slow going, but it will get more interesting soon!