chapter one

"y/n the new neighbors are fully moved in now, so we're gonna go say hi in a bit," my mom called downstairs.

"okay, i'll start getting ready," i replied. i had been waiting for my mom to say that all day. my mom had planned on going over there for dinner yesterday, after confirming with the mom of the house.

i caught a glimpse of a girl that lived there and i haven't stopped thinking about her since. she was so beautiful with her blue hair and blue eyes.

i put on some simple jean shorts and a tank top. its 90 degrees in california today, so i'm not risking wearing a shirt that i'd sweat through in minutes.

if you couldn't tell, i kinda have a crush on this girl. what's weird is that i haven't even met her. something about her just makes my stomach fill with butterflies.

it was now time to go say hello. i was totally overthinking. i was just so nervous. i thought maybe she wouldn't like me.

my mom and i walked next door. she knocked and my heart sank. i was so nervous to meet this girl.

a nice lady answered the door.

"hello, i'm sarah and this is my daughter, y/n, we live next door," my mom said.

"oh hello, i'm maggie, let me get my husband and kids. come on in," she said kindly.

their home was very cozy. the living room was mostly filled of boxes, but i'm sure that would get sorted out.

and there she was walking down the stairs. she was wearing an oversized shirt and shorts. i don't know why but i fell in love with her style instantly.

she looked at me with a smile and i blushed. i turned away so she didn't think i was staring at her.

"hey, i'm billie," she said to me.

"well as you know now this is my daughter billie, my son finneas, and my husband patrick," she said.

"i have a feeling you guys will become great friends," my mom said to billie and i.

"well i can show you my room if you want," she said.

"sure i'd love to," i said trying not to sound awkward.

we walked up the stairs and i saw a room with red lighting.

"this is where the magic happens," she said with a chuckle.

"in what way?" i asked not realizing how bad that sounded.

"well my brother and i write all our music in here together, so it's a very special place," she said smiling.

"you sing?" i asked.

"yeah i've actually went on tour before," she replied.

"that's so cool," i said excitedly.

"i guess haha, you're really pretty by the way," she said before looking down and twiddling her fingers.

"thanks, you too," i said blushing.

"so how old are you?" she asked.

"i'm seventeen," i replied.

"same here," she said smiling.

"so, enough with the small talk. tell me the deep shit," she said.

i explained to her everything. i don't know why but i feel like we connected instantly. i told her how my dad passed a few years ago and how my distant family didn't really talk to me.

"that shit sucks, i'm sorry," she said looking sympathetic.

"what about you?" i asked.

she told me how music was her way of escaping her inner issues. she struggled with depression as well. her label also didn't want her to come out as gay because they thought it would ruin her reputation.

"i'm so sorry billie," i said feeling bad.

"it's okay," she said. "this may sound weird and cheesy, but you are one of the people i trust the most other than my brother and it's crazy because we just met," she said.

"i feel the same way," i said smiling while looking into her blue eyes.

"hey girls dinner is ready," maggie said.

"okay, we'll be down in a second," billie replied.

she got up and walked over to me and grasped my hand. she looked into my eyes and smiled. by now i didn't even feel awkward. it felt like i had known her for years.

we walked downstairs and she let go of my hand. i'm guessing she didn't want to make it seem like we were something in front of our families. her mom had prepared some burritos.

"fuck yes burritos!" billie said excitedly. "oops sorry excuse my language," she said embarrassed.

"haha it's fine," my mom said.

i'm guessing that was her favorite food. i then sat down next to her while grabbing one for myself.

"so maggie and i decided we wanted to hang out tomorrow at our pool," my mom said. "i was thinking you guys could hang out as well tomorrow," she said smiling.

"sounds fun to me," billie said.

"same here," i said.

"mom can billie come over tonight?" i asked nervously.

"if it's fine with maggie, then sure i'm cool with it," she said.

"sure! i knew you two girls would like hanging out," she said happily.