CHAPTER 18 - THE CIRCLE OF FRIENDS

Elizabeth's POV...

While holding Mrs. Lorena's hand, I feel like I am receiving a motherly affection from her especially each time she calls me Lizzy. I feel so at home with her sweet gestures. Hmm... I really miss my parents.

"Hi everyone... let me get your attention, please. I would like to present you Ms. Hemmington. She is our new family member in the company and this kid is amazing!"

I suddenly blushed from the introduction she made. Really, I was overwhelmed that I didn't know how would I start to speak for myself. She brought me to a group of female seniors with two or three young ladies who are, apparently, of my age. Maybe they are the daughters of some of them. My eyes didn't exclude the only one fine man with them. He must be a husband of one of the three young ladies.

"Hello everyone... it is indeed a pleasure to meet you all!"

I bowed my head a little. A gesture that my parents and my governess taught me to do whenever I am placed in a middle of acquainting with someone.

"What a very lovely, fine lady you are! Lorena used to tell us that she wanted to introduce you one day. Now we know why she is very eager to present you to us. The reason is very raw and clear why she has a heart on you."

An old woman with beautiful grey hair started to speak.

"It is true! She tells us so many good things about you and how you helped her in everything with ease."

The other older woman with curly short hair seconded. I don't know why but I was starting to feel a little awkward. Maybe it's the fact that it has been two long years since the last time I've been in this situation where I was presented in front of sophisticated people and they complimented me with so many beautiful words. I almost forgot the circle I used to belong.

"So is she the one James chose to have?"

One of the three ladies looked at me with an obvious disliking. What is wrong with this girl? Is he related to my boss? Why is that she's sending me those scrutinizing looks as if I am someone who is not supposed to be here in the group and be introduced.

"Oh yes she is! Isn't she perfect for my son?"

Finally, Mrs. Anderson get the chance to speak again. But, what?! Perfect for his son?? What does she mean by that? I hope she is not misleading any idea.

"Since I already had the experience of having her work within my publishing company, I and my husband came to an agreement to transfer her to the main office where James is working since he took the position his father gave him. She is very efficient and very dedicated to any work assigned to her that is why we are so sure that she is the one that my son needs as a personal assistant."

After the long explanation I heard from Mrs. Anderson, I felt embarrassed of how I easily overreacted. Lucky that I didn't say it out loud because otherwise, it would be a total disaster how I put myself in a bunch of embarrassment. I was contemplating a little to regain myself from my silent imbroglio that I didn't notice the only man in the group approaching me.

"Hi! Let me introduce myself. I am Ryan. The lady who had just asked you a little while is my sister, Dianne."

He reached for my hand and that gesture suddenly made me quiver in a not so obvious way to anyone's attention. He held my hand just enough to give a slight kiss above my knuckles.

Hmmm... the gentlemen antics!

"Hi.. nice meeting you!"

I sent back a friendly smile. That is all I know I could give him. I don't want to give the guy any false impression that I am one of those typical flirt. But it didn't escape from my vision how her sister reacted to that gesture of his brother. I can assure it is a sort of disgust, a manifestation of her jealousy.