CHAPTER 54 - HIS STORY, HIS TALE

Elizabeth's POV...

A week had passed. From the day I had a dream of him becoming that little boy who occupied my nights occasionally, things became different. He became serious and distant. Day after day, he makes excuses just to avoid me. Just like now. He went for a business trip with one of his co-investors. I was trying to convince myself that it is the normal way how businessmen do. They work hard to keep their empire and James is no different. Maybe I had expected too much being the person on his side-- more than a PA, I mean-- I had hoped too high. Maybe I had pressurized him in explaining what's happening between us or even that night where he left me unattended. But what else can I do? He said things I had believed. He said I should have faith in us and I said I do. But why everything is changing... did he come to realize how weak our string is?

Ours is a relationship concealed behind the curtains but I insisted perceiving it like the mystic lucky knot tassel that is waiting to tie up that curtains to let the world witness the feeling we were both striving to protect. If he ever came to realize how loose the string that holds us, I prayed that he will not wish to detach it. Because I would gladly pay more attention to the idea that even if we were chained so weakly at least we were connected.

It was a sad dream but I should be happy, right? That way, I had the chance to listen to his silent agony before he started avoiding me so openly. From that day onward, I decided to wear that necklace and kept in mind not to untie it ever from me. It was a fancy piece of ornament but it holds so much riddles and everytime I open the locket, it gives me an uncanny feeling, like I was existing in two different worlds. Although inside the locket was an empty space waiting for a picture to be framed, it felt like it was full of recondite memories. And no matter how hard I tried thinking deeply who gave it to me, I always end up seeing James... James and the words he uttered in my dream.

I heard a knock.

"Please, come in!"

"Hi Elizabeth! Are you busy?"

It's Lorenz, his head peeping in between the half open door.

"No... just doing the usual extra office work. You know, when James is not around, it feels like he placed on my shoulders the things he left here."

"Yeah, right... the bastard."

"What made you here, Lorenz?"

"Nothing really serious. Just wanted to check on you."

"Right! Is that a command from the boss?"

"Oh, no... it has nothing to do with him...."

He walked in slowly, more like inhibited by something. I looked up and observed his face. I don't know if he's trying to act funny.

"You're okay, right?"

I was starting to question this weird act he was making. I didn't think he was demanding me to decipher his head but his approach was not the usual Lorenz I know.

"Hmm, let me see... I ate my breakfast and lunch on time today; I didn't get a flu from the rainy days that had passed; I punctually come on time; I wake up each morning in the same early hour and I can still surpass the highway before the building of the heavy traffic... so I can say I am okay."

"Oh, that's fine... Nice to hear. Uhm, do you have anything to do after work?"

"I don't think so not unless the boss sends me an additional task to operate before the office hour ends."

"Yeah, right. I hope he doesn't...  Yeah, I don't think he will."

I looked at him, perplexed.

"Do you think so??"