CHAPTER 45 - SECRET

Elizabeth's POV...

He dragged me out of the place where people were making fuss about what had just exactly happened.

I didn't know if it was because he's furious that he drove us away from the resort club or he just wanted to cool off from what he had done.

We were still on the road. He's driving without any emotion across his face. As to where we were going, I had no idea. I could sense that there was something running inside his head and he had actually no intention of showing it to me. I shifted back my eyes on the road. The atmosphere inside the car became ice cold apart that the night outside was getting slightly colder now.

He suddenly halt and then turned off the engine which made the car turned into a full stop. I looked at him, wanting to question but he started speaking up.

"I am sorry, Elizabeth."

He uttered without looking at me. He said those words seriously but his face was still in its emotionless state. I tried to change my manner of giving him an assessing look. I knew he wasn't alright and I should give him the time. I diverted my eyes outside. I was clueless about which part of the town we were in but all I could see outside were lights coming from buildings and other establishments down from afar as if we were situated in a highly elevated place giving a good view of the panorama of the urban area by night. The road ahead of us was in a descending slope and we were stopped on one side of the street under a yellowish, dimly lit lamppost.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

His voice caught my attention so I set back my eyes on his which is now staring at me.

"Because none of his words were true."

"I know but you could have had defended yourself from those false accusations!"

"What for?! He doesn't deserve any explanation from me... I don't need to clear anything about me because I don't feel at fault!"

"So you mean I am the one at fault?! It was because of me that those kinds of low blooded people are doing their best interest to destroy your reputation??!"

I furrowed my brows altogether. What is he trying to portray now? I didn't mean it that way.

"What is this sudden outburst, James?! Are you frustrated that you didn't break the man's face to ashes???"

"I am mad that you didn't do anything! You just worked on it as if it didn't bother you that much! It seemed like it was okay to you and--"

"It wasn't okay!!--"

I cut him short. I was starting to get irritated and confused at the same time to his sudden change of demeanor.

"It wasn't okay for me, as well!!! You could have cried and yelled, but no... you just gave that man a blank stare!!"

"James! I am not that weak!! ...Why do you have to treat me as if I'm like a fragile child?"

"Because I care! I wanted to protect you at any cost... I wanted to show you how much you mean to me that I could protect you and everything about you with my whole life!!"

I stopped and started reassessing what he had just said. It made my heart skip a bit in a very significant way. I suddenly looked away but he immediately cupped my face to look at him. I can see the shadow of agony that was starting to cover his eyes and I felt devastated seeing him that way. He looked so helpless... Very far from the James I knew. The fearless and bossy person from our first encounter.

"Elizabeth, you should know how important you are to me now. I cannot let the people outside hurt you in whatever way they like."

I gave him a warm smile to reassure him that I believe his words. My hands automatically found their way to hold his hands that were still cupping my face and gave them a gentle squeeze.