CHAPTER 67 - BACK TO US

Seven months later...

James' POV...

Things had gone differently from the day she left. She didn't even say her last words to me. She just disappeared. If only I had seen this coming, I would have had taken the risk to see her, face to face.

I closed my eyes and recall the last words I had ever said to her. That day before she got ill...

Truth hurts and lies are the worsts but if you wish to punish me then talk to me. I would rather believe all your lies than shut your life to me as if I didn't exist into yours.

Those were my words. I had taken the courage to reprimand her from exiting my building without saying what I needed to tell her. I was somber and her everyday dreadfully stolid behaviour towards me was getting deeper as ever. I thought she was only having that kind of tantrums like all the girls do. It was only then when I have got to realize how seriously she had become phlegmatic.

My parents had only informed me that she visited them to say goodbye and thanked them for all the good things they had done to her. They didn't mention anything about the fact that they know her that much because it was obvious that she already knew it and she was just shy to tell them. They said she looked terribly thin and had lost the sparks in her eyes.

I knew where she is... I was itching to go there and see her but still I have two issues to resolve. Last month, my private investigator and his team had traced the person behind the leakage of our sample for the european price bidding of the kitchen model and the other person behind those stolen shots of me and Elizabeth together. None of them wanted to spill who was the mastermind behind these assaults so they were forced to stay under detention for further investigation.

Today I attended the final hearing of the court for the co-investor who committed business anomalies. The court favoured our side and he was condemned of twenty years of imprisonment followed by the sequestration of the trade union assets as his afflictive penalties were attached to all forms of grave felonies.

The time to rejoice is not yet to be anticipated. I still have to resist harder until the heaviest issue comes to light. I had sacrificed so much up to the extent of destructing our story and losing her. I had to if that was what all it took to save her.

I looked at the object lying in my palm. Everytime I look at it, it gives me strength to still believe and hope that one day, everything will be fine and all these deterrents that are putting us under trial will be over. And when that day comes, if the heaven will not forbid, I will do everything to fill her up with happy memories that will erase all the pain that I had caused her.

I just hope that when that time comes, it is not yet too late...

------0------

Elizabeth's POV...

"Dear!! There you are!"

I turned my head from the seat where I was enjoying the sun gracefully offering me the heat I needed. It was my mom.

"Yeah, I'm here mom. Where do you think I would go?"

"I don't know, honey. You usually disappear when you don't like things coming your way."

She made a half laugh by the remark she had just uttered. She was not being sarcastic although it sounded alike but I knew that she was just pointing out a fact.

I was seated in the balcony accompanied by a book in my hand. It was a novel about the peasant's daughter and the Earl written by Mrs. Lorena Anderson. My mom had bought it when she happened to pass in a bookstore the other day. She and Mrs. Lorena still have contacts and every once in a while calling each other over the phone.