CHAPTER 19- THAT KIND OF LOOK...

The main part of the event had already started. Some guests gave their speeches and told stories about their business journeys. The couple, Elliana and her husband, also gave their speech acknowledging everyone who participated in their event. They read out loud the lists of the persons who have donated for the charity they are helping and as a token of gratitude, they gave in exchange a plaque of appreciation with an embedded gold doubloon. And for concluding the main part of the night before proceeding to the entertainment segment of the party, James went up the stage to impart his piece. He was tall and handsome in his jet black suit. He greeted everyone and started thanking them and moved all the way to share his words.

"Who is he?"

Sitting next to each other in the head table, Elizabeth crunched her brows as she gazed to the man speaking loud in front. She examined the specimen of her eyes and assessed the man as a prominent elite. He must have shared a handsome amount in this event, she suspected. A thirteen-figure sum is just a coin to him. Hearing no response from her partner, she looked at Lorenz with a 'so?' glance.

“Oh god, you don't know him?”

He looked at her as if she had grown two heads. She began to feel annoyed at his response to her very simple question. It wasn't like she asked an extremely complicated one that needs an intricate explanation. She didn't mean to ask how many black holes are there in the universe.

"Why? Do I suppose to know him? I mean, is there a law that I have to know the man?"

He blinked at her in disbelief. His lips started to crawl up on both corners. Right in front of her is a comical face trying to delay a burst of laughter. It was a relief that they were wearing a half face mask. If not, she wouldn't get to have a clue how Lorenz was making fun of her.

"Apparently, I broke the law, right? I'm in trouble."

Lorenz was appalled as he examined her eye reaction from the hole and finally realized that her face was an innocuous mirror of insensitivity. He really couldn't believe it. But Elizabeth, on the other end, was starting to get irritated from the frustration of how he was reacting over her simple query.

“Lorenz, you are not helping. Don't give me that creepy, astonished look! Why don't you just tell me who h--”

“He is James... the boss.”

He laughed after the revelation. She rolled her eyes. He was over reacting Elizabeth thought. Her track of interest in listening to every word the man on the stage utters began to disappear but she remained calm. She didn't want Lorenz to see a change in her demeanor. She tried to throw a glance at the stage. It was really hard to study well his face even if he wasn't wearing a mask. She admitted that it would be a shame to cover such elegance. He deserves to flaunt that mighty face.

They were seated a little farther from the center front of the stage but she can see how well built his body was. She admitted that his boss has really the air of authority in his manner of bearing himself. All too high and glorious! The suit fitted him accordingly. But what was that?? He was speaking in front of those prestigious people and yet his eyes were wandering tirelessly as if he was looking for something. It was hard to identify if the obvious was only visible to her senses or the people discerned the same way but she had observed the way he tilted his head every now and then at no specific direction.

“I think he is looking for you.”

Lorenz suddenly spoke. It was sure and confident.

"For me?? And why is that so?"

Elizabeth inquired cluelessly.

“Why not? You are his personal assistant and he wanted to know if you are present here and that means you have to stay by his side because this is an event where some business deals pop up and you need to take notes.”

"I don't buy your explanation. It is the weirdest thing I ever heard so far because from the moment I got transfered in his office, I didn't feel he needed me."

"Then perhaps tonight you have captivated his interest that, I assure, would have definitely made him feel remorse of the past week he didn't approach you... Time to realize those wasted days that--"

"But how would he know it was me when we even didn't meet yet?"

"Oh, right! I forgot about that. You still haven't met. Now that explains why you don't know him dead serious. Okay, I promise before the event come to an end I will introduce you and let me hear from my cousin of his envious retort. Let me make him realize how much he had let this rare opportunity passed him."

“Okay...  thanks Lorenz.”

Elizabeth curtly said for she rather wished that Lorenz would forget about that. She shivered at the thought of meeting the boss she hated so much for his rudeness.

“Bingo! He found you.”

“What?”

His sudden outburst didn't register that fast into her senses. She looked up and found his boss looking directly at her. A flash struck in between and she suddenly felt hot as if the night air faded out leaving her flushed. This must be embarrassing. She drew back from his stare and occupied herself by looking in no particular direction just to avoid his laser-like gaze from a distant.

“He found you. I think he is looking directly here at us.”

Lorenz waved his hand to his cousin.

“Do you think he knows me? I am wearing this mask…”

Elizabeth touched the mask that is covering half of her face.

"I don't know but I guess you caught his attention. I told you I can bet half a million that none of the guys here are not looking at you or glance at least without any admiration."

Lorenz chuckled at what he said.

She was confused why she suddenly felt uncomfortable. She felt like her throat got dry and she needed to swallow a little. Without any notice she got the flute of champagne and drank it all at once.

“Hey! That’s mine!”

“Oooppss sorry!”

She giggled. She didn't understand why she is feeling nervous with the look he was giving her. The way he stared at her was like he's digging her very soul. As if he was trying to unmask her face. She was way too distant from the comprehension of what James had said in front of the people. Her senses became all numb just by that kind of attention James' eyes were giving her. She didn't even see if his boss was even blinking or he was totally focused in no one else but her.

“I believe that I must really introduce you to my cousin. He will kill me if I don't. I can see clearly how his full attention revolves around you.”

Lorenz bumped a little his shoulder against Elizabeth’s.

Everybody gave a warm applause after his long speech. She was totally disoriented of the impromptu speech he did up the stage. She was extremely preoccupied by his presence. After the long and loud applause came the music that was obviously suggesting everybody to take their own lead to dance in the middle of the dance floor. The music was lively and inviting. Lorenz suddenly held her hand enthusiastically.

“Come on! Let us beat the dance floor!!”

Lorenz laughed.

“I don't think that I can but...Yeah! Why not give it a try!!”

Elizabeth stood up and came with Lorenz hopping cheerfully in the center of the dance floor. Well, who would not want to dance in the song Let's get loud by Jennifer Lopez? Elizabeth thought that it was better to dance away the feeling she was having right at the moment after someone has consumed up all her senses just by the look. She needed to re-energize herself by following every beat of the music. She was glad she had someone like Lorenz in that unexpected call. He really made a good company. She could honestly admit that she's starting to enjoy the night.

“Ouch!!! That hurts!! Your heels!”

Lorenz cried out but in a laughing tone.

“Sorry... I'm truly sorry!”

Elizabeth was a bit mortified but then followed his laugh and she braced clumsily to Lorenz’ arms.