CHAPTER 53 - THE MEMORY

James' POV...

If anyone right now is constipated, you've got to thank me for not being alone. Though, I didn't mean the other stuff but I would rather admit that I feel like being one of those emotionally constipated like stiff-upper-lip types. And I hate the day, not because the weather was irritatingly getting into my nerves, but having the delusion of not catching the right words to explain what had happened last night and seeing the silent pain she was trying to hide. Damn! It was a torture! I tried the very best I can to temporarily stay away from her. I can sense the heavy weight of her muted agony whenever she's around and it was killing me inside. I decided not to join Lorenz for his lunch invitation aside the fact that I was in no mood to antagonize his thousand forms of frolic life. Better that he caters Elizabeth's need to be uplifted.

I didn't know that Marie is back in town. The last time we ever communicated was when she decided to go to France for soul searching. That was according to her when I told her that I wasn't really into her. She's too obsessed in the idea that I was being good to her because I had learnt to have a feeling for what we had. Honestly I was full of shits back then. And I was only physically attracted to her, so blatantly speaking I was just horny having her beside me and nothing else... no absolute attachment, period. I thought we remained friends. But it had only left her a different meaning.

So yesterday to make everything right I directly told her what I needed to say, though, I sounded like a real asshole. She was upset at first and I can't question that kind of reaction. She wanted to go clubbing, drink and get drowned to forget but I, being a changed person, didn't allow her to be alone in that state. As a friend, I accompanied her for a while having with me the most honest intention. Time passed and I realized how long I was outside. I remember leaving Elizabeth with my parents. I decided to take Marie home but I've got no idea where she resides so I placed her to my hotel in the nearby area of the busy city. I asked one of my staff to guide us in a suite where she can sleep safely. She was totally wasted.

When a room was set for her, I placed her gently on the bed, remembering the time when I did the same to Elizabeth. She's beautiful but my lily's beauty had charmed me right from the very beginning. I didn't bother to undress her so she could be more comfortable. I don't want to take any risk so I asked a female staff to take care of her situation. At least, that way I can say I made a good closure and a good friend to her.

When I got back to my parents' they told me that they asked Mr. Moore, the family driver, to send Elizabeth home since it was getting late. That was expected. My parents disapproved of what I did and so I was forced to explain what took me so long. It was not a concealed idea how they dislike Marie, regardless of the gratefulness they still have for her father.

I was mortified and even more right now having Elizabeth around. I couldn't start a straight conversation with her. I knew she was deeply inflicted but her stubbornness was making a good service to her. She was pretending to be alright and the more she covers her pretty face with faux eudaemonia, the stronger I get abashed by my conscience.

But remembering how I kissed her last night, I prayed to heaven to send me down all the angels to cheer and support me in executing my biggest plan of telling my parents about us. I was nervous. But the plan was invaded by Marie's presence and every detail running through my head had vanished. And now I am being chastised.

The only excuse I was thinking right now is to pretend to leave the company for an emergency meet-up with a client. It was not that I am having this scaredy-cat inside. I was just trying to avoid to utter her words that would only complicate the situation if ever she attempts to confront me.

I know, this has to end... soon.

------0------

Elizabeth's POV...