Chapter 31

—Draco POV—

"I requested that you watch the Potter boy. And now, as I summon you, and ask what you have... and...?"

"W-well, My Lord, I am following your... suggestion. You have to understand- it takes time, writing a book. I assure you, I would never let you down, My Lord."

Keep your head down, stay hidden unless called for, don't breathe out of line, don't walk where you aren't meant to walk.

I remembered those words clearly enough from mother and father, yet today my feet carried me without mind to the rules, and I found myself here.

"You are, fixing details, as requested?"

His voice was a low, raspy hiss. One that made me want to run away, or vomit, or curl up and die. But, it's far better than having to look at him.

"They won't suspect a thing, My Lord."

I screwed my eyes shut, biting my lip fiercely, keeping my breathing quiet as I considered what might happen to me if he found out I was just in the other side of the dining room's door- his door, now- maybe he'll torture me, like he did each time I failed to assassinate Dumbledore.

Maybe he'll give me what I want, and just kill me before I get to see his grand scheme play out.

But he's never so merciful, I tell myself as I remember the stories of what Aunt Bella did to Longbottom's parents.

Maybe the torture will drive me to replay that moment on the Astronomy tower for the rest of my life, or the bathroom, or all of the murders he performed in front of me as I just stood there, watching. The torture might simultaneously cripple me to the point where I couldn't possibly kill myself.

"My Lord, if I may... I had a slightly different idea, in your approach to draw a veil over the Muggles."

There was a silence, and I briefly pictured him staring at whoever he was speaking to, feeling challenged, perhaps- threatened, maybe.

"Continue,"

"You see, many of the... more intelligent Muggles, they may think that what you're doing is... akin to some of the darker points in their history. Things they'd rather forget..."

"Yes?"

"They may compare it to... to a certain publication that already exists: Mein Kampf."

"And, of this publication?"

"They, well, they don't like that man, sir, and in it, they read about his exact point of view. I just thought-"

"Continue to waste my time sidestepping and find yourself in a far more unpleasant situation."

"Sir, if you are seen as something, of fantasy, they will see you as no threat at all, they may even become fascinated by learning you exist, in the future, of course."

There was a large bang, making me flinch. It was with grave fear I noticed my trembling, my eyes closed tighter.

"Stop wasting time!"

"My Lord, I will tell the Muggles about us, but I will the paint the story in Potter's point of view. I've been watching him, you see? I'll play it off as fantasy- that will make children read it, and it will spark generations of knowledge about you. They won't suspect a thing though if we only change a few details. They'll love it; they wouldn't expect something fake to mean anything-"