Chapter 18~The Dekusquad

After we spotted the dekusquad from the top of the Ferris wheel, Kat and I decided that we should go home. 

Now, the two of us are weaving through the crowd, trying to avoid running into our former classmates. Kat is gripping my hand tightly to make sure he doesn't lose me.

Fortunately, the crowd has thinned out quite a bit since it's so late, making it easier to maneuver. 

Unfortunately, the lack of people also makes it easy for us to be seen as well. 

"Kachan?" 

Kat and I freeze. We slowly turn to see Midoriya, Asui, Iida, Uraraka, and Todoroki, otherwise known as the dekusquad. 

They all stare at us as Kat quickly moves me behind him. I try to keep a neutral expression, though I clutch my panda plush closer. Asui and Uraraka were some of the first people to turn their backs on me after all. 

They don't seem to recognize me, plus they're more focused on Kat.  They keep asking him questions about how's he's been doing or why he's been avoiding them.

Kat looks like he's about to blow someone up, which probably wouldn't be a good idea. People are already staring at us in annoyance and I don't feel like getting kicked out of the fair today. 

"Hey Kat," I whisper, tapping his back.

Kat stops yelling. He turns to me, completely ignoring the dekusquad behind him. 

"What's up teddybear?" he asks, his voice hinted with concern. The dekusquad seem shocked at the tone of Katsuki's voice, but we just ignore them.

"Can you calm down? We might get kicked out of the fair if you blow them up." I explain, keeping my voice down. 

Kat 'tch's in annoyance, though he complies.

Now the dekusquad have their jaws on the ground. After all, none of them have ever seen the angry pomeranian be calm. Even Todoroki looks slightly shocked, now that's an accomplishment. 

"Hello, I don't believe we've had the honor of meeting. My name is Tenya Iida, we're Bakugo's former classmates," Iida explains, holding out his hand to shake. I look at it for a moment, slightly unsure of what to do. Do I take it and pretend like I don't know them or do I tell the truth. If I tell them the truth do I still shake his hand?

Why are social situations so awkward and confusing?

I snap out of my confused trance once I notice everyone staring at me. I apologize immediately and I can feel my cheeks turning red from embarrassment. 

"S-sorry about that, I didn't really know what to do is all?" I explain. 

"Oh, I was offering to shake your hand," Iida explains, looking confused. 

"Oh no, I know that. You see, we've met before so I didn't really know how to react to you introducing yourself," I try to explain myself without seeming awkward. I fail miserably. 

The dekusquad look at me, even more, confused than before. Though, Todoroki and Midoriya look a little suspicious. They might be beginning to recognize me. 

Iida immediately bows, "My apologies, I don't recognize you," he apologizes. 

I wave my hands frantically, accidentally dropping my panda plush. Fortunately, Kat catches it for me.

"No, no. It's fine. It's been well over a year since we last saw each other and none of you considered me a friend by the time I left," 

These words seem to be what Todoroki and Midoriya needed for the answer to finally click in their minds. Their eyes widen in realization before yelling.

"(l/n)!?"

The other members of the dekusquad widen their eyes in shock. They stare at me for a moment, taking in my features as though to confirm my identity. 

"It really is you..." Uraraka gasps. I nod in confirmation, no point hiding it anyway. 

"What are you doing here, ribbit?" Asui asks, clearly angered at me for some reason. I haven't even done anything to her. I haven't even seen her in over a year!

"I live here? In Makota, I mean." I respond, slightly confused as to what they want me to say. I glance back at Kat, asking him to step in. He growls at the dekusquad and throws me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. 

"We're going home now." He simply states. I look back at the dekusquad, who are once again in shock. I wave slightly, to be polite. I don't even try to get out of Kat's grasp, I know it's impossible anyway.

Once we get to the car, Kat opens the passenger door places me on the seat. He hands me my panda plush before getting into the driver's seat. We drive in silence for a while, neither really knowing what to say. 

"Thank you for today, I had a lot of fun," I say with a small but thankful smile. Kat glances at me and smiles before returning his attention to the road. 

"No problem teddybear. I'm sorry we ran into those extras, I was trying to make you feel better before Monday," he explains. I snicker at him, making him look at me in confusion. 

"Who says you didn't make me feel better?"

Kat blushes at my words, he turns back to the road again, though now it seems like he's attempting to hide his blush. It's not working. 

"I'm glad you hand fun," he says, "you hungry?"

As if on cue, my stomach growls. We both laugh and Kat pulls into the drive-thru of a fast-food burger joint. We order our food before Kat parks in the deserted parking lot. 

We eat and talk, occasionally joking around until we finish our food, then we laugh for a few more minutes. 

We don't get home until midnight, meaning we get quite the scolding from Mitsuki. It was worth it though.

Today was a lot of fun. 

The cherry on top?

I got to fall asleep to the rhythmic beating of Katsuki's heart and the smell of caramel.