Five: Phase One

The world around him was so distinctively diverse

The world around him was so distinctively diverse. He could discern things from miles away, detect all kinds of scents, and hear the most exotic sounds. A spider making its web, ants collecting food to take back to their colony. Every breath he took felt like he was breathing directly through mother nature, and in a way, he was. The colors around him seemed vibrant; his focus was indescribable compared to the words that consisted of his vocabulary. When he had stepped out of Midnight's cabin house, all of these new things floored him, and it took him a couple of minutes to regain his posture. He had ran around finding himself going at impossible speeds, and yet even going as fast as he was, everything around him was as clear as a picture.

The cold weather didn't bother or affect him at all. On the contrary, he hadn't realized how stuffy the cabin had been until he stepped outside barefoot in the snow. A small amount of snow had been falling from the gray sky, and Evan watched in wonder as he saw the tiny details of the snowflakes as they fell. He even caught a few on his tongue. Testing his luck, he even climbed up some of the trees digging his nails into the bark as if they were ice axes. Halfway up the trunk, he stopped, still not trusting his gifts completely. Later on, he would have a mental breakdown of all that was occurring, but he took a moment to himself as he stood on a thick branch, watching the forest in its entirety just thrive under the weather. There were very few animals out due to it being winter, but the sound of the river not too far from where he was filled the silence.

It was power.

It was immortality.

Eventually, when he finished running, he went back to the cabin to find the goth waiting for him there. Midnight gave him back his clothes, which he hadn't washed since they needed them dirty to make their story believable. However, they did need to get Evan a different jacket since his old one had a giant hole in the arm sleeve. While they weren't the same, it was similar enough to pass as the one Evan had been wearing. It was the only hiccup in the story, but with all the things that had occurred last night, Evan's jacket should be the last thing on anyone's mind. At least they hoped that was the case.

After dirtying up the jacket, Midnight took Evan back to his lodge. They parted a few miles away from it after working on Evan's story. He had gotten separated from Jacinda and Kane during the chase; he rolled down a hill and hit his head, knocking him unconscious. They had considered giving him a head wound, but with his new abilities, the blonde would have healed too fast, and it would have caused unwanted attention. The story was convincing, and all Evan had to do was put up an Oscar-worthy performance to seal the deal.