Thirty-Eight: The Will of Destiny

Everything happens for a reason

Of course, it was a moderately arguable statement, given that some would say certain circumstances happened at the will of no greater deity, but that debate was reserved for those who were not at the will of destiny, and it seemed that things were moving too slow for her liking despite the continuous events transpiring.

Midnight had called him into his office, and they talked about the pack, but since most of their past was kept hidden, there was only so much information that Sirus could get them, but it was enough for Evan to proceed to call Cowen to set a date for them to talk. The next day when they went to school, it was utter chaos, everyone was freaking out over Sophie's death, and Nova was not taking it well since she had gotten into a verbal argument with one of her friends that resulted in her leaving the school which was a feeling Evan knew too well. He had considered going after her to console her, but that was no longer his place, so he went on with his day, going to classes and making up for any missing work. After lunch, he met with his counselor and dropped any classes he didn't need in the second semester; he had too much going on outside of school to be taking too many courses. Throughout the entire day, he tried not to look at Midnight longingly, but he found himself countless times forcing his gaze to another direction whenever the goth was in the room. When school was over, he went home to the lodge to prepare for Cowen's arrival; they had agreed to meet at Evan's place at four o'clock to discuss the blonde's role in the pack if he were to join.

The next day Evan would be meeting with the architect he had hired for the lodge renovations; he mostly wanted to change the furniture and aesthetic, as well as make much larger changes to the basement, which he had cleared out for the very purpose and wanted the biggest changes to be to his room since he wasn't pleased with the way it currently looked. He knew it would take months but since he wasn't having any electrical or plumbing issues then it shouldn't take longer than nine months, maybe a year if he decided to alter a few more things. There was also a fence Evan was considering building around his land to keep people out since it was technically private property.

It was almost four o'clock when he felt someone drive into his territory, so he walked outside to see a familiar black Tahoe car park a few spaces away from his car, and as far as Evan could tell, Cowen had kept his word and came alone. The alpha stepped out of his car, locking it as he strode up to the blonde, giving him a respectful nod which Evan returned, waving his hand as a silent invitation. The werewolves entered the lodge, the younger of the two noticing the subtle way Cowen's blue eyes scanned his surroundings and the sheer size of the lodge. "You live here alone, correct? This is an awful lot of space for someone who isn't part of a pack, especially since this place is big enough to fit a small army."