Six: Discovering Truths

The next few days were a living inferno for Evan as his sweating worsened

The next few days were a living inferno for Evan as his sweating worsened. Literally. He felt as if he were hunkering in one of the sultriest pits of hells sweltering and disintegrating away, prompting him to want to heave in abhorrence of his own body, which he did several times. Miss Sanchez, bless her soul, only made the situation worse by piling more and more blankets and covers over him. On Saturday morning, he was back home exuding profusely plus sobbing uncontrollably from his melancholy and maddening discomfort. That same night Evan had filled his porcelain bathtub to the brim with ice and water, locking himself inside for hours, finding momentary relief until his extreme body heat melted all the ice turning the water lukewarm. Monday morning, however, he was still sweating ridiculously, but it hadn't been as awful as it had been during the weekend, and he wasn't vomiting anymore, which he counted as a victory.

Nova and Kane had checked up on him multiple times, making sure he was okay, making him feel a bit better about the situation. Spending a lot of time in his room and scarfing down any food placed in front of him also gave him time to think some things through. Evan knew he couldn't tell Kane his secret no matter how much he wanted to trust his childhood friend. Midnight made sure to inform him what would happen exactly if the Grosvenor family found out he was a werewolf. They would instantly detain him and take him back to the local Church they served for questioning. Werewolves were normally shot on sight, but since Evan had a personal connection to the family so they would investigate his Turning, mainly the name of the werewolf who turned him, which is where things would really go downhill for the blonde. If the Church found out that Evan was bitten by an Elder as powerful as Akela and survived, there would be a monumental reckoning. Hunters, Knights, and even some Gargoyles would gather demanding answers, such as the location of the Elder's meeting place. Since Evan had a connection to Akela, they would use him to track down the Elder, and the war that had dwindled to petty hunts would flare up again, turning into genocide against werewolves.

No, telling Kane wouldn't be an option. Evan didn't want to be the one responsible for the death of innocent lives who would get caught up in something as chaotic as a hunter and werewolf war. Telling Nova wasn't a great idea either when Evan knew that in either trying to help him, she would get caught up in something she shouldn't because Akela came looking for him, or even worse, he hurt her for getting too close to him when she should have been staying away. The people he was the closest with couldn't know his secret, and he found himself lamenting about it vigorously. He knew it was for the best, yet that didn't make it fair.