Prologue

Midnight paced anxiously back and forth as he waited for his parent's arrival

Midnight paced anxiously back and forth as he waited for his parent's arrival. His older sister, Tempest, sat on the staircase steps watching her younger brother with a calm look on her face. He couldn't understand her or her placidity. Anxiety ate at him, made him move his hands from his thighs to his hips, then run them through his thick, straight black hair. His parents should have been back from the hunt by now. Cora and Jedrek were the best of the best, so logically, there was no reason for him to worry, yet the unsettling feeling that stirred in the pit of his stomach refused to give him peace. Something was wrong, but he couldn't figure out what. Tempest had been no help in calming his nerves. If anything, the witch made Midnight worry even further. For someone who had supernatural powers, she seemed too tranquil.

Never a good sign.

A relaxed Tempest was a careless Tempest.

The clock chimed loudly, echoing off the walls and down the halls mockingly. Midnight's heart started racing as he stared at the clock, momentarily pausing pacing. He glanced at his sister accusingly, who frowned deep in thought. Turning his body towards his sister's, Midnight pointed an accusing finger at the grandfather clock, "Two hours, they're two hours late. They were supposed to be here, look me in the eye, and tell me something doesn't seem off. If they were going to be late, why haven't they checked in yet?"

"Relax." Tempest snapped her dark gray eyes, narrowing down to slits. "We'll call Donovan and ask him if he knows anything-"

"You don't think I haven't tried already? I've called everyone! Even Uncle Corvus, but no one knows where the hell they are, not even Luna." Midnight threw his hands up in exasperation; the nervousness finally made him crack. Tempest's expression didn't change, making her brother's temper flare further. "Do you even care? How can you sit there, like everything is fine and the possibility of them being in danger is so far from reality that it isn't even an option in that twisted mind of yours?"

"Watch your fucking mouth!" Tempest stood, her dark eyes turning deep violet. "They're my parents as well. I know you're worried, but if anyone can handle themselves, it's them. Relax, they'll show up." Midnight set his jaw, meeting his sister's gaze unwaveringly. They had a staring match for a few minutes before Tempest blew an exasperated breath. "Fine, if they're not back in another hour, we'll go out ourselves to look for them, all right? Just stop looking at me like that."