Twenty-Four: Rivals

Evan couldn't sit still

There were too many strangers roaming around the cabin, the animosity was thick in the air, and he hadn't seen Midnight in hours. He wasn't entirely sure who the women that had arrived earlier were, but he knew that not a single one of them was human. They were most likely witches since they all reeked of the mordant acridness scent that magic seems to secrete. They hadn't even glanced in Evan's direction when they walked in with their heads held high with regality and dignity. The twins had snickered under their breaths once the group of women had disappeared into Midnight's office. That was another thing Evan had realized. No one would let him leave or out of their sight for too long. If he went to the bathroom for more than five minutes, either the twins, Elysium or Titan, would come to check on him. At first, he hadn't thought much about it until he noticed that they had purposely done it. For some reason, they didn't want to leave Evan alone. Not just Evan, Andraste was always with someone as well.

He knew asking would only lead to more suspicion, so he was left to draw his own conclusions. He couldn't think of any valid reason as to why he had been assigned chaperones. The full moon was still a week or two away so there was still time to prepare for that and it wasn't like Evan was going to leave to let them handle the rogue problem by themselves.

His eyes widened.

Evan and Andraste were werewolves meaning that even if they were scratched or bitten, no harm would come to them. The chaperones were to make sure they didn't run off to handle the rogues by themselves without any other assistance. At first, the werewolf had been pissed that Midnight hadn't trusted him enough not to leave, but at the same time, he couldn't lie to himself and say the thought hadn't crossed his mind.

"Who are they?" Evan turned to the twins who were sitting across from him, bickering about something. They stopped to glance at him hesitantly. He raised a brow at them. "If you two won't tell me, I'll just go ask Titan."

"It's complicated. Alewar's father, Valerian, our great-grandfather, had three children. Aztaroth, Ethelinda, and Alewar." Sol sighed as she crossed her arms over her chest, glancing back at the closed door of the office. "The four of those women are the daughters of Ethelinda, Alewar's sister. So they're technically our parent's cousins, and their daughters are our second cousins."