Thirty-One: This Means War

Foreboding

Foreboding.

That was the best way to describe the day.

There was a lifeless misgiving that no one dared disturb or even articulate. The day was dreary and cloudy, but as time progressed, the clouds faded so the moon would be perceptible when the time came. Some of the Alexaviers had left a few days after Christmas; the fiasco that had occurred with Dionisia and Davorin almost revealed to the humans who had been present the existence of magic. Zoraida had signed the contract and in doing so gained herself the precarious privilege of knowing about the supernatural world. Midnight hadn't gotten into detail but Federico's daughter was not at all pleased and under any other circumstances Evan would have been more curious about her but the full moon's song was already rattling his bones. Evan kept the pendant tucked safely in his shirt and so far none of the other Alexaviers knew he had it. He hadn't even told Andraste about it in fear that she would tell Bane. Evan had convinced Midnight of taking the pendant back (temporarily) until the full moon was over since he couldn't transform with it on, and that gave him a momentary relief from having to wear it.

The werewolf was too anxious about his transformation to worry about that, however, as he followed Midnight down to his cellar. The sun was going down and he could feel himself acting less like a human and more like a beast, barely speaking and growling more than usual. His beast was active like it usually was during this time of the month but after what Celastria did he worried that the pain would somehow negatively affect his transformation despite him not having any evidence of that. He had phantom pains where her fingers had touched his skin, and it caused him to freak out, so Midnight decided to lock him up a bit before schedule for everyone's safety.

As the sky darkened, the more erratic Evan became, growling, hidden in the darkness of the cellar's corner, only his glowing yellow eyes visible. Intrusive dreams he had night previously leading up to this one, dancing in circles in his head, mockingly whispering in his ear as if they were his own memories instead of another's. Evan could hear the woman's voice calling out to him, but it was drowned out as the full moon announced its presence.

Those who did not know better, who did not know the significance of despair and fear, would say immortality would be the greatest ability to obtain no matter the cost and that a curse should be regarded as a godsend. Only fools would speak what they do not know, and Evan was no fool.