80. Yudhistira's Remorse -2

"I do not want to have you to keep repeating yourself, Devi" Yudhissitra spoke, unconsciously leaning into her warm hand on his cheek, "But Devi, sometimes I-"

"It is alright Aarya, I do not mind repeating myself for you, I never can."

"But you shouldn't have to, Devika. I've grown accustomed to the hurt and pain...I give pain and accept pain as well...But you, Devi-"

Yudhistira's lips failed in articulating his protests any further; a slender finger resting firmly atop the was at the root of it.

"Shh, Aarya. If you must get accustomed to something, let it not be pain but happiness."

In one swift motion, as if emulating the properties of clairvoyance, Devika's hand found its way underneath her husband's bigger one, preventing the latter from curling into a painful fist.

"Oh Devika, where would I be without your sacred guidance and loving companionship" Yudhistitra's soft spoken words of sincere reverence curvetted gracefully across the silent stillness romping the grand chamber, "No one would have stayed back with this gambler but you-"

"Aarya. Stop it." the Queen of Indraprasth commanded her King, amalgamating sternness and tender affection perfectly in a manner that only she was capable of, "YOU ARE NOT A GAMBLER... You do not even know how to play. Don't say that again or I won't ever talk to you."

"But that is what the whole of Aryavart calls me, Devika dearest" he continued in a despondent tone, adding with a humourless chuckle, "A loser of a gambler at that."

"I don't care about others. I care about you. I want you to love yourself"

"Devika, while I cannot assure you of that, you can remain unbothered of any doubts pertaining to my love for you my dear Devi."

He raised her hands towards his face, gazing at them reverently with his sleepless eyes before letting his lips touch their soft skin. This was how such nights of theirs would conclude, sealed with a kiss and promise of sincere unconditional love for the other.

"Devika I fail at describing the love I house for you dear, and it is one failure I am proud of. Come let's go to bed now."

Yudhistir gave her hand a light tug taking a few steps towards their majestic bed, however only to realise not much later that his beloved made no attempts to move from her spot. He sighed.

"Devika..."

"Aarya, you cannot love me if you do not love yourself"

Indraprasth's Queen seldom used the cool, unfeelingly steady tone to voice her thoughts, which she did now But Yudhistir could easily see the mass of emotions emulsifying in her profound black eyes.

"Stop blaming yourself Aarya. Please stop."

A long tired sigh escaped the son of Dharma's lips as his wife's desperate pleading fell to his ear.

"Devika" he began, his eyes bearing a distant, vacant gaze, "Tell me honestly... don't you think I'm responsible for all the disturbances that hound our lives now? Is it not me who has wronged everyone so poorly?"