45. Getting Ready

Draupadi woke up to a perennial rustling of feet and jingling of light ornaments and soft murmurings around herself. She stirred in her bed, sleepily raising a hand before opening her eyes, peering at the the sudden flood of sunlight in the room.

"Why are you all being so noisy today?' She asked sitting up now, her long hair falling all around her face.

"Oh, we are sorry Maharani, we did not intend to wake you up now" one of the daasis (female servant) hastily apologised "We have a lot of work today starting from bathing you and then dressing your hair, painting your hands with alta (a red dye) —"

"You do that every day, Bhumita" Draupadi interjected, giving her a curious smile "What's the hurry about today?"

"Um... there is a lot more today" she replied shifting uncomfortably "We have some more instructions... from the King."

Draupadi raised an eyebrow at her pointedly. The maid turned her gave sideways to a group of daasis holding up large golden salvers with equally shinning gold messes sparkling here and there whenever the light fell on its diamond and gems. Two more maids were holding some extremely fine and elaborately designed clothing. The young girls holding up the articles seemed to be straining under their weight.

"What's all this Bhumita?" Draupadi asked quizzically at the sudden display of the plethora of riches before her.

"Maharaj has given us some specific instructions to get you ready" Bhumita answered uneasily, knowing of her queen's temper whenever an encroachment of her freedom arose.

"Maharaj gave instructions about readying me for the day?" she asked more to herself than the royal maids around her.

"Yes Maharani" one of the younger maids said excitedly "Maharaj, personally selected the clothes and jewellery from the royal treasury in the morning."

Draupadi forced a smile on her face, the maid was after all a young girl probably not even entered her twenties and it was but natural for her to thoughtlessly equate such acts with 'romance'.

Draupadi sighed. She was not young, nor was she naive and unlettered of the harshness of the grim world. She knew exactly why Karna had taken the pain of choosing jewellery for her early in the morning. Her father's taunt, yesterday night had irked his anger and ego and this was his way of retaliating at her father.

She remained quiet as the maids started readying her. She could not blame Karna either, he had much greater tensions to resolve and the situation with her father was precarious, at such a time she should have been careful to shield herself on her own as much as possible so that her husband would not have to face unnecessary attacks because of her.

She gasped suddenly. Then she saw an elaborate choker, reflected on the mirror, being fit around her throat. It was bigger than any such piece she had ever work before, weighty and encrusted with large shimmering pink stones and little diamonds.

She examined the other pieces of jewellery laid out on the dressing unit- they were all antique designs not contemporary ones she generally wore, heirlooms in most likelihood, all of immense size encrusted with emeralds, diamonds and all precious stones. She liked jewellery but this was certainly not what she fascinated- impediment in comfort for mere objects of superficial beauty.

She took a deep breathe as the maids went about with the work. The saree she was wearing was more layered and heavy than what she had worn for her swayamvar.

The duppata covering her head was bordered in gold embroidery also had tiny diamonds sewn on to it. And the nose ring, it almost covered her lips entirely. She smiled sadly, men have their fragile egos and it is the women who have to drain themselves to saturate them

Draupadi stood up unsteadily once she was finally ready to begin the day. She felt a faint constant pain crawl around her neck, being pulled down by all the necklaces. She took a careful step forward, and other, and another, nearly stumbling twice, the jewels covering her ringing rhythmically.

She put on a confident smile on her face, disregarding the strain coursing through her body. Karna had absolute dislike for those who came late to the royal assembly. And, today was not going to be easy, she thought walking slowly out of her chambers being cleverly assisted by two maids.

The day would certainly be eventful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone

I know the chapters are progressing rather slowly but please be patient ☺️ it is important to bring out the bigger impact 😉♥️