31. A Hidden Listener

"Hmm. So what do you say Radha?" Adirath asked his wife.

The elderly couple sat relaxing in one of the quaint and quiet corners of the royal gardens.

"Swami, we need to give them some more time" Radha replied, throwing some pulses at the pigeons perching near their feet.

"Do you think it will be a long wait?"

"It is difficult to say now"

They sighed. They had not seen what they had wanted to see but what they had seen was far better than what they had expected.

"That day when we came they seemed to have had fought over something? Did putri Draupadi tell you anything? Karna said nothing to me."

"No, swami, I got to know nothing. But I believe whatever happened has been resolved now."

A slender woman dressed in the finest red silks with tasteful gold jewellery complimenting her look, walked regally through the artistically designed pathways of the gardens.

It was a pleasant day, perfect for spending the time outdoors and the Queen of Anga was certainly making the most of it. Her husband chose to remain locked up in his study, so she decided to enjoy her own company in the midst of nature.

'Not that he would have come out with me readily nor do I have the courage to ask him' she thought to herself, acknowledging each of the servants bowing respectfully to her, with a gracious smile.

A tall flower bush stood on her side. It was more for the purpose for screening whoever sat on its other side than just for beautifying the place. She was about to pass by it when two voices taking her name and that of her husband's impeded her.

"They are progressing slowly" Radha continued, unaware of the third party now listening to their conversation in passivity.

"Perhaps we can say no to the marriage proposal of Satyasen's sister, Vrushali. What do you say, Radha?" Adirath asked his wife.

"I think we should wait for some more time. Any hasty decision on our part will hurt all three children— Karna, Draupadi and Vrushali."

"You are right, Radha. But whatever he thinks, I do care about my son and I want him to be happy in his life, not sacrifice all the time. I was so proud when he returned an incredible warrior displaying his wonderous archery skills but I could not express it because he was killing his conscience by siding with Yuvraj Duryodhan's sinful acts but again he made me proud when he stood up for Draupadi and now, Radha I want him to be truly happy."

Radha comfortingly stroked her husband's arm as he shook his head sadly, his eyes beginning to water.

"Both of them seemed very happy in the morning today, Swami, and putri Draupadi even asked me teach her how to cook besan ka halwa. It is one of my son's favourite."

"Radha, we are getting older and right our children's happiness is all I desire. I don't want my son to be bound in a loveless marriage all his life, a marriage which has no depth, which is a compromise."

On the other side of the bush, Draupadi's eyes widened, shock coursing through her body. She breathed heavily, gulping down the lump in her throat. She could hear no more, walking away rapidly towards the palace. She needed to rethink everything and act.

"But things between them did not come down to the worst we feared. They are faring far better than what we had predicted."

"Yes, there you are absolutely right, Radha. Karna has now untangled himself from Shakuni's conspiracies, he is living in his home with his wife and there is hope for their bright future."

"Yes, swami, some more time and effort from both their ends and nothing can stop the relationship from strengthening, unbending in the most terrible of storms."

They smiled at each- other. Their love had fought and shielded them from the toughest battles of life and continued to nourish them. How they wished the same for their son.

"Pranam" a guard said suddenly emerging in front of them, "Maharaj wants to discuss something with you urgently. Should I take you to him or ask him to come here?"

"We will go talk to him" Adirath answered rising up, helping his wife to stand up.

They looked at each other concerned, their steps quick with worry.