72. Of Little Girls and Hidden Blushes

Their steps were steady but slow rhythmic jingling of her heavy anklets spoke of a measure of caution and a mind of preoccupations, unlike the two other pairs adorning the the little feeets of theor owners, jingling joyously ahead.

Draupadi kept her eyes fixated on the little sisters delighted to be visiting 'Maharaja's secret magical garden.'

"Panchali, they were completely uninvolved" Karna said quietly, walking beside her.

"I am well aware of that" Draupadi replied softly, not looking at him, "I never for once entertained the thought in my mind."

"But you had to go on to investigate didn't you?" she continued on getting no response and the next instant regretted her words.

"Panchali, you understand that a visit by nobility from a foreign land comes under the purview of the State" Karna said calmly, gently holding her shoulder halting her, "I would have had to look into the matter sometime or the other and the girls themselves came up to me and explained so innocently—"

Draupadi's eyes darted to her husband's face before quickly looking away, while her husband's guiding finger under the chin resulted in her now standing face to face with him.

Karna noted the drooping corners of the perfect blush pink lips of his wife. He smiled lightly pressing her shoulders for to draw her attention.

"Panchali, not just the girls, but also their grandmother came along with them— the three of them were so worried and guilty..." he said, as he tried to gauge the thoughts behind her widening eyes, before continuing in a hushed tone, "Yes, they live with their paternal grandmother, their mother is deceased and their father is a sailor and there has been no news of him over a year now."

"So how...?" Draupadi asked concerned.

"They live in their ancestral home, making nearly enough from selling flowers, pickles and other such things... I arranged for a pension for her" he answered, "She was so afraid, blaming herself for whatever that happened... and the girls were so sad that they hurt you—"

"Aarya, that is so nice of you" Draupadi interrupted, watching a surprised look cross his face.

"Um...thank you...but why?" Karna mumbled confused at the sudden pride and admiration seeping out through her beautiful kajal lined eyes.

"You realize it was a noble act on your part, don't you Aarya?" she questioned, her eyebrows quirking in almost amused inquisitiveness.

"I...she was so sincerely apologizing... and she was not at any fault" Karna muttered more to himself than to her, "And they asked to see you and you understand I don't deny anyone so—"

"You can be cluelessly noble Aarya" Draupadi said, unconsciously enjoying the flustered look on her husband's face as she sent him an admiring smile, unable to withdraw the sudden giggle that chose to leave her lips that very moment.

"Panchali, why did you laugh after complimenting me?" Karna asked gazing at his wife incredulously.

"Because how you reacted to it was funny" Draupadi answered, stifling another laugh at her own explanation.

"Panchali—you—"Karna began mentally trying to form a witty enough reply, "You are—"

"Maharani—Maharaj"

The couple startled before turning around to find a little girl looking up them, her arms crossed around her chest to convey annoyance, an adorable, childish frown plastered on her lips, while her elder sister stood behind her caught between childish anger but also societal decorum.

"Suritha...we..." Draupadi said quickly bending to her height, "We were just got carried away talking, little one."

"We will get lesser time like this" Suritha replied, pouting while Draupadi smiled affectionately at her, "You said the Maharaja's garden is so beautiful—"

"What have you told them Panchali?" Karna interrupted much to the surprise of the rest.

"I...why are you..." Draupadi began unsure, trying to assess every possible explanation of her husband's vexation.

"It is the Maharani's garden too" Karna answered after some time, smiling pleasantly at the surprise exuding from his queen's widening eyes, before turning to the sister and laughing softly, "Your Maharani has done a better job of it than I could."

"Now I understand" Sanitha began calmly,"We were—"

"Let's go now!! We are getting late! I want to play in the garden" this time an excitedly impatient Suritha interrupted.

"Of course" Karna replied chuckling, "My little girls are so impatient to go to the garden."

"Yes yes, now let's go!" Suritha exclaimed as she and her sister sprinted ahead with the royal couple following after them.

"My little girls are happy" Karna whispered to Draupadi before adding with a mischievous smile "All three of them."

Draupadi abruptly turned up to him but he was already walking ahead with the sisters, joking and laughing with them, and glad she was of it that the crimson blush that crept up her cheeks remained unseen by him, or so she thought. 

--------------------

Hello everyone

A new chapter after a long time, thank you for bearing with me.

Do let me what you liked best from the chapter and what you expect to happen next:):)

Please drop by your votes and comments generously, it always helps me a lot:):) The next chapter will be out soon:):)❤❤