59. Of Two Fire-Borns -5

"Tell me Draupadi, what of that?" he asked again., "What have you kept bottled up in you since that horrible dyut sabha (gambling match)?"

She kept quite, hastily turning her back to him, lest he should see the tears that had pooled in her eyes. Why was everyone talking about the dyut sabha when she herself didn't want to think of it?

"Draupadi, I know you don't want to be reminded of it but sooner or later you will be forced to come out of your denial" he said softly, "And it would be better for you if your break down your defense mechanism by yourself. Draupadi you are listening to me?"

"Yes, yes, Bhraatashri" she replied nodding hastily, "I am listening."

"Draupadi, at least face me" he continued, as he stepped forward and gently spun her around, "Draupadi, we may not get such an opportunity to talk face to face again—"

"Bhratashri!" she interjected, now turning around, watching him with wide eyes, her mouth concorted in painful realization. True, this might be the last meeting with her brother in her life, but it was another bitter truth to accept in the same day.

"This is why, my sister, I wanted you to speak out as much as possible" he said smiling sadly, making her sit down, "Just say what comes to your mind. Anything."

A woman's mind more often than not is dictated by the heart and this heart however much slashed or cut, battered or bruised, can never forgo those pure bonds she gives birth to. This heart is difficult to steel whatever the circumstances be and Draupadi had still not been successful in this endeavour.

"I want to see my children" she whispered, her eyes bore a far- away look, her hand unconsciously reaching for her bosom.

Dhristyadyumna wished he could disappear into the distant mountains shimmering in the moonlight, visible from the marble balcony. His sister was now looking at him with wide, expectant eyes. This was the first wish she made of him, not even on her own accord but on his push, and he couldn't give it to her.

"Draupadi" he began unsure of how to broach the matter, "My sister, from my end I can talk to your children's fathers but the rest depends on Angraaj."

Draupadi blinked as her lips trembled. Her brother's warm hand on her shoulder did nothing to comfort her and she knew he could well gauge that. Again, she saw in his eyes, the old wearied helplessness.

"I can drop a hint or two to your husband but you have to speak to him about this yourself. It is not in my place to ask him—"he continued awkward and sad.

"I know" she interjected quickly, sensing her brother's discomfort, "I didn't realize and asked for too much—"

"Draupadi tell me anything else" he stated fiercely, "Tell me, you want revenge on each of those who were responsible for your humiliation and I swear, this brother of yours will do everything he can to fulfill your wish, even if it takes my life, even if I lose my sanity, even—"

"And what will it leave me with, Bhratashri?" she interrupted, a blank expression on her face now, "If you challenge them, there will be war and destruction for sure, and even if you win..."

She paused to take a deep breath before proceeding with her vent. She felt sorry for her brother, how he was so collected was beyond her understanding.

She smiled a tiny smile, despite both of them being twins they were similar and dissimilar, while she was easily incensed, Dhristyadyumna could discern when to get irked up and when not to.

"Can our vengeance sustain us, Bhratashri?" she asked quietly "and after everything that happened today I am highly doubting the capability of vendetta to give us any satisfaction however much we may have been wronged..."

"But, Draupadi, you can't let them go unpunished!" he exclaimed "Why are you being hesitant, sister? I had thought you would be longing to ask me for this—"

"I am not saying that I have forgiven any of them, nor am I saying that they should go unpunished" she answered, almost in a trance like state, "But...but..."

"But what?" he asked earnestly, "Tell me Panchal army and its allies are all on alert—"

-----------

----------

So here I am back with the chapter:) Hope you like it!

Panchali's emotions are complicated to understand but i am trying my best to bring them out naturally. How do you think things could turn out? What apprehension is currently plaguing Draupadi? What conclusion do you think this conversation will reach? Will it reach a conclusion?

Please do vote and comment generously:) ❤❤❤