65. Conversing of the Future? -4

Draupadi shifted involuntarily in her seat and immediately was greeted by a tight squeeze around her hands enclosed in her husband's large, soft palms.

"Panchali, steady on" Karna said, "We both need to talk. So you see I am entrapped in complicated web...you have opinions which will differ from mine and it won't be easy to negate peacefully through them."

Draupadi nodded taking a few deep breathes in her vain effort to calm herself but alas her temperament had never been on truly good terms with calm consideration or graceful appearance of attentiveness, and at the moment she could not help the agitation from coiling around her slowly like a venomous serpent that first immobilizes its prey and then strikes when least expected.

"Aarya, so you are implying you will take Hastinapur's side even after being given independence from them and become a puppet of those Kurus again?" she asked with some derision.

Karna paused, watching her with unblinking eyes for a while, here was the proud princess who had once prided herself over being the eldest (and also most powerful) daughter in law of the Kuru clan, and now she seethed with such contempt at the name of them.

"Draupadi, you are not to imply that the me being a vassal king then equated to me being a slave of Yuvraj Duryodhan" Karna answered firmly trying hard to keep the anger out of his tone, "I will repeat this to you one more time and I expect you to keep this is in mind henceforth that you have no idea of the dynamics of mine and Duryodhan's friendship. So it is better you don't speak in such a tone abo..."

His voice trailed off as his gaze now rested on her perfectly contoured face turned sideways, he eyes refusing to look at him choosing instead to stare at an antique tapestry hanging down from one of the walls.

"Panchali..." he called softly.

The slightest tremor of her lips indicated she registered his words but would not dignify him with a response. Karna watched her quietly for some time, deliberating on the next course of action, she still did not turn to him, while a tiny lump played at her throat.

The mighty wielder of the bow sighed, resignation evident in his imperceptive bending posture, the slowed pace of the drumming of his fingers against his knee.

Perhaps he had hastily rushed into this matter, perhaps the level of her hurt went deeper that what he had gauged...but one thing was clear, he would have to drop the discussion today.

"Panchali, listen to me" he said, affectionately placing the back of his palm at her neck, while maneuvering his thumb to her chin and gently turning her to face him.

"I was speaking of Duryodhan because I wanted you to know something that is important to me" he continued, "He is my very good friend. And in fact Samrat Dhritarast had recently written to me that now his interest in statework has far diminished that before, and even his enthusiasm for performing arts and other such entertainments no more remain the same ... he also said that Duryodhan spends most of his time in solitude or practicing the mace..."

Draupadi nodded. She understood that he too had lost much since the dyut sabha like she had but this was news to her. But still her mind repudiated to move out beyond the dark walls of denial and ignorance she had so unknowingly built around herself as her brother had rightly pointed out.

"So how does it concern me other than softening my opinions?" she asked, immediately wishing to she could take back her harsh words.

But her husband smiled, whether in sorrow, or exasperation or contempt, she would never know, but she was certain there was not a trace of anger marking some ugly lines on his handsome face.

"To help find the extent of its veracity" he answered, "Samrat Dhritsrast's words are not always reliable but Samragyi Gandhari's are."

-----------

-----------

Hello everyone

It has been a long time since I updated but I got caught in sorting out  some unforeseen and unexpected disquiet. 

I hope you liked the chapter. What did you like most from the chapter? Where do you think their discussions are headed to? Do you think it would bring some peace in their lives? What do you think will happen next?

Thank you for all your lovely DMs expressing your concern and enthusiasm. I will reply to all of them soon:)

Do drop by your votes and comments generously:)❤❤ I will try to update soon!