24. Crumpled Flowers

Karna was mermerised by the beauty he witnessed, the lush green fields dotted with colourful flowers was healing to the eye and soul.

"SURITHA- SANITHA"

Karna was stunned at his wife's sudden actions. He gaped at her bewildered.

She grinned merrily at him before continuing to scream again.

It didn't take too long for a little figure to appear running in their direction.

"Maharani you came!" she said excitedly.

"Yes Suritha. I had to come. I promised" Draupadi replied pulling the little girl to an embrace.

"Hehehe. You are so nice Maharani" Suritha giggled "Will you teach us how you made those pretty hair accessories from flowers and ferns yesterday?"

"Of course I will" she replied animatedly.

Karna watched them chattering away. His expressions softened at the sight. No doubt his wife had been under giggling spells yesterday.

He walked up to them. Draupadi smiled at him.

"This is my husband, Suritha"

Karna smiled down at the little girl.

"Haaaa" she gaped "That means you are the Maharaj."

"Yes the one and only Maharaja of Anga," he beamed, reaching forward to pat her head when to his great surprise she withdrew behind Draupadi.

He looked at them quizzically, confused as Suritha peeped at him shyly, her eyes wide in apparent awe while his wife only laughed stroking Suritha's head, who still hid behind her.

"Aarya it seems someone seems to find you scary to look at and is not scared to show that!" she teased him.

"What...?"

"You should have worn the flower crown I made you, Aarya. This wouldn't have happened then."

Karna nearly rolled his eyes in exasperation as Draupadi laughed all the more, with Suritha looking on in amazement at the couple.

"By the way Suritha, where is your sister?" Draupadi asked having recovered from her laughing fit.

Suritha's little face lit up with a bright smile at that.

"Maharani, she went to get someone special."

"Who?" Karna asked abruptly.

"Probably someone who too would be scared of your looks" Draupadi teased him again, thinking it must be a friend of the two girls.

"Look Maharani, there is my Jiji (elder sister) and look whom she brought with her."

Karna and Draupadi followed her gaze. Sanitha was running towards them but what made both of their eyes widen was the stong and well built figure of a young Brahmin walking fast behind her. His robes though simple appeared new. And he carried himself with a confidence one doesn't generally get to see in an ascetic.

The pulse in Draupadi's throat throbbed faster. Her mind was in a torment. It couldn't be possible. No. She tried shaking her head but it seemed she was paralysed. From the corner of her eyes she could see Karna frown slightly.

"Panchali"

Draupadi froze. It was indisputably his voice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arjun had excitedly walked up to Draupadi. It seemed forever since he had watched her so close but what shocked him intensely was Angraj Karna standing beside Draupadi.

He had not prepared for this. Draupadi's had paled, while his worst foe standing  beside her only looked on with an unreadable expression.

"Panchali I came to meet you" he blurted out without thinking to break the uneasy silence.

Panchali startled hearing this. She turned to face her husband and for a second she was frightened. She saw pain, betrayal, anger course through his handsome face one after the other.

"What are you doing here?" she finally managed to say turning back to Arjun.

"I came to see you, to talk to you..."

"But I was not notified before. Are you not aware of protocol?" she seethed, although not daring to look at Karna.

"But Panchali" Arjun began softly, taken aback by her coldness "What need have we of protocol? We..."

"Where was this unmindfulness of protocol when it was needed."

"Panchali listen to me-"

"Looks like you did not hear me right at the-" she took a deep breath "Dyut Sabha(dice/gambling hall). I severed all ties with you."

"Marriage is only a social rite Panchali, but relationships are not, they emanate from the heart" he replied and then in a deliberated manner "Marriage has no value and standing without relationships and feelings. It is a prison house then-"

"Enough Arjun"

Karna's voice though soft, submerged in anger struggling to remain under control fell like thunderbolts on the five of them.

"Arjun don't cross your limits. I don't want to create a scene" he continued "You are welcome to accept the hospitality of Anga in whatever guise you choose or go back. The puja and celebrations will be starting soon. I cannot disappoint my people for our personal problems."

He looked down on the two little sisters. Suritha face was moist with tears. He knelt down before her and gently wiped them away.

"Suritha go back home with your sister" Karna said softly, looking affectionately into her frightened eyes "Come and join the celebrations with an elder."

He smiled at them nodding at the elder sister who began guiding the younger one away from there.

At last he turned to his wife. She looked aghast at the happenings.

"Draupadi" he began, his voice devoid of any emotion "You are free to follow whatever you consider to be your duty."

She followed him without a word. She opened her fists, the flowers she had picked for Karna were crumpled. A single tear glided down her eye.

She sighed mounting the chariot by herself as her husband did not extend his hand to her like other times. Everything she had imagined for the day had shattered forth her eyes.