64. Conversing of the Future? -3

"Panchali, calm down please" Karna whispered while carefully steering her to the bed, "I did not think it would still hurt you so much...I had thought you were waiting for me to speak of it and—"

"Aarya you must have given some thought to it, that it was such a trauma for me" she replied refusing to rest her head on the soft pillows despite her husband's insistence, "Aarya, you are my husband, can I not hope for this much of understanding from you—?"

"Panchaali" Karna murmured seating himself in front of her whilst she still held him in an enraged gaze, "Panchali, my wife, we need to talk about this calmly. I realize now that I should have been more considerate in broaching this matter with you, that the trauma still haunts you—"

"Aarya is that something that should come off as so surprising to you?" she questioned back, her back erect "Just tell would anyone get over a past trauma so easily by keeping it to themselves and then on one fine day everyone around decides to interrogate them of it, how do you expect them to answer sensibly then!"

"Panchali" Karna began, pressing his hands to her shoulders, "Panchali, my wife— my dear wife—"

Draupadi's anger claimed expression gave way slightly, as his hands soothingly massaged her shoulders. Karna looked on, as the ghost of a smile adorned his lips.

He knew the pressure points in the body to relieve tension and pain, having learnt them during his weapon training days but never in his wildest thoughts had he imagined that the first recipient of his skills other that his Guru(teacher) would be his wife and not some wearied, wounded warrior.

"My fiery queen—my tigress" he continued delighting in the slight blush that crept up her cheeks at the last endearment.

"My little girl" he whispered looking at her intently, the surprise and curiosity that blended in with her prior anger that had still not completely evaporated was a treat to his eyes.

"Little girl?" she questioned softly.

"My fragrant lotus—"he started again, deliberately disregarding her question, subtly smirking at the delicate frown on her face, "My unpredictable fire-born"

"Mine in entirety" he completed tenderly, giving her shoulders a final reassuring squeeze, before taking her hands in his, smiling up at his wife who now wearing an alluringly sweet yet undecipherable expression.

"What are you thinking of Panchali?" he asked after some time had elapsed in this fashion.

"Nothing..." she answered truthfully.

"Then would you mind if I choose a subject for our minds to think of?" he questioned, leaning his head forward.

The gentleness which had drenched his voice and mannerism, drew away any form of protest from Draupadi who could only nod in agreement.

"You will try not to get provoked, right Panchali?" he asked again.

"Yes, Aarya" she answered quietly, "I will not get provoked. You may speak without hesitation...but—"

"But what?"

"I also trust you not to bring up any such matter which could draw extreme emotional reaction from my end."

Draupadi sent a firm gaze to her husband who met hers with an unwavering one. She watched his smooth shining hair brush against his forehead with the wind blowing in through the open windows, the corner of his lips twitch before tugging up in a tiny smile.

"You can trust me" Karna said, glad she was regaining her calm and bold self after the outburst, "You see, Panchali things are bad outside, on the political front— alliances are shifting, earlier vassal states are rebelling and declaring independence—overall a big messed up power play is on since...since that catastrophic day...and in that I will not be able to stay neutral for long, are you understanding Panchali?"

"Yes, I am understanding" she answered, "And you want to know about my opinions of possible courses of action in the future—Aarya, honestly speaking I have not even processed the happenings yet, what I want to be done with the wrong doers, what I don't want to be done, how things should be done—"

"Panchali, there is no hurry for us to decide so soon, I am asking you because whatever stance I take, it will affect you too— you see in battle anything can happen" Karna replied and noting the anguish on her face, he hastily added "But the probability of any such major battle or war is still vague and distant."

She nodded understandingly, silently pleading to him to continue. From the deep breathe her husband took, she could sense whatever he was trying to speak of would be discomforting.

"Panchali" Karna began resolutely, "Before you form any judgment about the horrible game, know this that both sides did wrong and my allegiances of loyalty were different then and the depth of the friendship I share with Yuvraj Duryodhan is beyond what you can imagine..."

----------------

----------------

Hello everyone!

So Karna manages to calm Draupadi for the time being and now they can head for talking and deliberating...

Do let me know how was the chapter, and what you liked most from it and what you expect to happen next?

Please vote and comment generously! It is a pleasure going through each and every comment of yours:)❤❤