22. Words and Prayers

Underneath the starry sky of Anga he felt more at peace than in the gilded, wonderous halls of Indraprasth. Nature always had a magically soothing effect on him, providing him a nurturing bower from all the intricacies and complexities of royal life and palace politics.

He began charting the stars in his mind, as a cool gentle breeze tickled though his coarse but comfortable brahmin's robe. The soft rustling of leaves created music in his being. But Arjuna couldn't sit still. Somehow the image of Draupadi smiling joyously in the flower filled field under the late afternoon sun induced in him a certain restlessness. After so many days, her merry laughter had filled his ears and he couldn't be happier.

"Draupadi is my first love" he repeated to himself.

And he would see her soon enough. He didn't know what would happen after that nor what he would do or anything of the matter. A strange impulse to see her had gripped him and today itself he had enlisted two helpers in his purpose. A contended smile spread across his lips.

"We will see each other soon Draupadi."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draupadi shifted nervously standing outside the doors to Karna's personal chambers. Each time she raised her hand to open the majestic doors, she hesitated before giggling like a silly teenager.

"Why is this happening to me?" she thought as the guards around tried not to notice the unusual behavior of their Maharani (Queen).

Finally gathering all her resolve she entered only to find her husband sitting on an arm chair facing the door. He had a waiting expression on his face while a subtle smirk played on his lips.

"Panchali I was about to call you in."

Of course, he knew. She mumbled under her breathe. His senses were too honed for a normal human being.

"How has your day been Panchali?"

He asked with concern, gesturing to the servants to leave.

"It was quite good" she smiled happily.

Her lovely afternoon with the two little girls seemed to have restored a part of her maiden self to her as she nearly sprinted halfway across the room towards him.

Karna stood up. He couldn't help raising his eyebrow in incredulity at that. His wife behaved in such unexpected ways at times.

"Panchali will tell me details of it? I have been worried about you?"

She smiled softly at that before a mischievous grin took its place on her lips again.

"Aarya need I tell you everything in words" she said playfully taking some more steps forward.

"What...?" Karna had never felt more bewildered in all his life, not even when learning the most intricate battle formations.

His fond gaze wrapped his wife, who was going into her uncontrollable giggling fits.

"Looks like I will I have to wait longer to hear the details from you" he said giving up.

Draupadi nodded.

"We can talk over dinner."

She grinned at him cheekily.

"Panchali why are your hands behind your back?"

A soft laugh left her mouth as she lowered her head in mock shyness.

"Panchali would you say anything?" he asked, his voice dripping in incomprehensibility, as he took long strides towards her.

This time burst out laughing, bringing her hands in front of her. Karna's eyes lit in surprise at the beautiful crown of flowers she held in her hands.

"Not everything needs to be said aloud Aarya"

He looked on at his wife drenching her in his affection gaze. Draupadi was now smiling softly, as this time she looked away in genuine shyness.

He gently held her chin, turning her to face him. All his life he had just strived for acceptance and love.

"Thank you Panchali" he said in a husky voice "It is so beautiful. I didn't know you had such hidden talents,"

He was about to take it from her when again she surprised him with her unexpected reaction. She took a step back smiling naughtily leaving his hand raised in mid air.

"No, no Aarya. You don't get it so easily. You should know how to make yourself one of these whenever you please instead of depending on me."

"Then show me how", he said his eyes lighting up in mischief too.

"Not possible today. Tomorrow I will take you where we can find unlimited supplies for such flower crowns."

"As you wish, Panchali."

She observed him looking at her floral creation fondly.

"But since you seem to like it so much, I will let you have it on one condition, Aarya."

"And what is that?"

"Now that all your official works are done you have to wear until you go to bed."

"What- No" he said waving his hand as his wife was laughing uncontrollably.

He smiled as a silent prayer, for similar continuity in his life, left his lips.