36. A Long Night-3

"Panchali, how does she concern you? What else did you hear?" he asked.

"Aarya I..." she bit her lips, "Aarya..."

"Hmm? I am listening Panchali?" he replied, nodding at her encouragingly.

"Aarya, I got the answers to my questions" she said in a rushed manner.

"But I have barely started asking you my questions" Karna answered back, his ears pricked up at the increased pace of the clanking of her bangles "Why are you so agitated?"

It would be wrong to bring up his parents now, especially when they had been so considerate towards her without thrusting their expectations on them, but at the same time Karna had answered her question so openly, it was only fair that she too give him satisfactory responses as well.

"I overheard...that..." Draupadi began unsteadily "That... you might get married to Vrushali because..."

"Because of what?" he asked gravely.

"Because we don't have a real marital relationship. You are bound in a loveless marriage. We are still very far away from each other" she answered simply deciding to cut away any digression.

"And you thought this would be a good way to bring us closer to each other?" he asked quietly not looking at her.

Draupadi could see the disappointment on his face, the hurt in his eyes, the disapproval in his lips. Only now did she begin thinking if she had indeed taken a hasty, irrational decision capable of creating discord in their lives.

"And you thought I am just another man, nothing more than that, this would make me happy?" he continued, his voice rising.

"You did not give a care to about my self- respect, about the promises I made to you when I brought you here, about my sense of honour" he nearly yelled "Why, Draupadi?"

Draupadi was stunned at his outburst. She had to acquiesce that there was truth in his statements and that she had not given a thought to his perspectives, his feelings. But, then, where had she given the tiniest thought to her own feelings before jumping into this, with the sole purpose of pleasing him.

Yet, she trembled unnoticeably, under the layers of the heavy saree and equally heavy jewellery as she watched the glacial anger course through his form.

"Aarya, why are you talking like this?" she said, angry and afraid at the same time.

"That does not answer my questions" he retorted, looking straight into her eyes.

"My answers lay in my question" she said, readjusting the necklace chocking at her neck "My intentions were pure, unadulterated..."

"Unadulterated? Or driven by jealousy for someone you do not even know?" he hissed "You were letting external forces pressurise us to take a step which we would regret layer. If I wanted this alone, I wouldn't have been patiently waiting, delicately building your trust and comfort... and you were going to bring it all shattering down tonight."

-----------------------------------------

Hello everyone

I know it is another short update, but the next chapter will be out very soon!!❤

Do let me know what you think, it would also help me continue the chapter better :)❤