40. Strange Coincidence-1

"Radha ma" Draupadi called through the long corridors "Mata"

All women need another woman they can trust and talk to without any restraint and with Radha , Draupadi found that need fulfilled. The kind, wise lady had become her closest counsel and confidante now. Draupadi had opened up to her Radha Ma's undiluted and unadulterated motherly affection and friendly guidance.

Like her husband who yearned for love and acceptance all his life, since the dice game, a void in her too had taken birth which yearned for love and understanding and that void had found some solace in Radha's tender arms.

The excitement with which she had opened the majestic doors leading to the lavish chambers that housed Karna's parents, receded abruptly, when instead of the warm smile of Radha ma and the calming composure of Pitashri Adirath, the sight of several servants scurrying about the room cleaning and rearranging it, greeted her.

She gaped in shock. Had they left already? But why would they leave without telling her? And Radha Ma had promised to teach her how to cook kheer (a sweet dish made of rice, milk and sugar) next, why would she leave?

"What are you all doing?" she asked a servant near her.

Alerted, thus of her presence, the remaining servants looked up from their works and bowed respectfully to her. She nodded lightly, silently repeating her question.

"Shriman Adirath and Shrimathi Radha left for their home at dawn, your highness" the servant answered, "And your esteemed father, Maharaj Drupad of Panchal may arrive today or tomorrow."

She raised an eyebrow sharply, before quickly masking her surprise at the news under a layer of dignified elegance.

Gesturing to them to carry on with their works, she quickened her pace towards the training arena, the most probable place, she reasoned, her husband could be in. Although it certainly was not where any woman, leave alone the queen, should be visiting but if her husband was there, it was alright.

But she was wrong, training arena was completely deserted, there was not even the steady flow of little groups of soldiers practising their skills, the perennial clanking of weapons or training commands.

'Odd' she thought as she began walking in the direction of his private counsel chamber. She was going to push the grand sandalwood doors when they opened revealing the three men engaged in an intense discussion proceeding to leave.

She knew all three of them. The two closest to the door were startled at seeing her outside and quickly bowed. She graciously acknowledged the courtesies of Mahamantri Harish and Senapati Mahish of Anga.

A little farther from them, stood her husband. Karna gave her a tiny smile and a nod gesturing her to enter. She could sense the atmosphere of the room was tense and the reasons for it were far more than what she had gathered knowledge of a few moments back.

-------------