34. A Long Night -1

Karna obediently headed towards her. None could deny the fact that she was an ethereal beauty and neither could he not heed to his subconscious voice in his head that whispered,

'This beauty is all yours now and only yours'

He sat down on the edge near her and leaned forward as best as he could without getting too close. He gently fingered the gold embroidery on her veil. He smiled watching the exquisite god-touched face gradually reveal itself. He knew it would be a long night.

His senses had began drowning in desires uncalled for, along with the intellect-numbing drug called sleep. This was all so new to him.

In an involuntary impulse, his left hand reached forward to touch those perfect pink lips, adorning her pretty face lowered in shyness, when a sudden resurgence in consciousness caused him to move it towards her ears in an abrupt motion.

"So what's next?" he asked, dabbing the sweat formed at the rim of her forehead.

Draupadi could only stare at him disbelievingly. Did he seriously not understand what all this implied? No, he isn't that naive. Was this his way of mocking her prior 'experience' with five husbands? No, no, he can't d that, can he? He knew it was a sensitive point for her. He can't stoop so low.

"Why are you pretending?" she finally asked trying not to be too sarcastic.

He raised his eyebrows before permitting a tiny smile creep up to his lips. No better way to ease the fire-born lady than by letting her to vent her anger on you.

"I am not pretending, Panchali. I am merely allowing you to have control of ...um...of the night" he answered softly.

He saw her eyes widen and her mouth parting slightly. He eyed the elaborate nose ring obstructing his view of those full lips, with some hostility. It would also obstruct his lips from—

'Hush' he mentally chastised himself, from a corner of his eyes he noticed the toes of her alta-painted feet curl and uncurl. He bit his lips discreetly. There was no way he could allow carnal lust to overtake him tonight.

"But, Aarya, you are supposed to take charge" she whispered, looking straight at him now, her brow crumpling under confusion.

"If I was convinced that you were ready I might have" he replied kindly, affectionately brushing his fingers against her soft cheeks, dusted with gold, glowing in the flickering light of the candles.

"Might have?" Draupadi questioned. Despite the tinge of admiration for him creeping into her, and even remorse for having assessed his motives and intentions so wrongly, she could not keep the female ego from being hurt that a man could have resisted being tempted to her "I am all ready and prepared."

"My dear wife" he answered endearingly "I am not ready if you are. I am preoccupied with several matters and exhausted and sleepy. I am not fit for a woman's bed tonight."

He fiddled with a large and intricately designed ring. It sat on her slim finger heavily.

'It must be painful' he thought and proceeded to pull it out when it stopped midway. He noticed the shimmering gold chain attaching it to a bangle.

"So, Panchali, What is your next instruction?" he continued, as he lightly traced the path of the chain from her knuckles to her wrist, with his thumb, "Or can I ask you a question?"

"Sure" she said, barely audible. She was watching him curiously, his occasional touches sending pleasant shivers down her.

----------------------------------

Hello everyone

I know this is a  short chapter but since a lot of you have been requesting me to update over DMs, I decided to give out the chapter in parts.  The next part will be out very soon!