10. Overhearing Things

The next day was filled with much activity. She was introduced to court and spent much of her time there.

But once it was over she was left to herself and the boredom was unbearable. Karna had not yet told her of her duties as the queen. The kind of duties she had in Indraprasth and she was unsure whether to assume her own duties.

Through out the afternoon as her husband attended high confidential matters of the state she had been largely casually going through her garments and jewellery some old and close to her heart but mostly new. They were beautiful but couldn't hold her interest for long.

She had tried striking up conversations with her maids but they were new and unfamiliar and also naturally somewhat curious so she had to be on guard about what Karna had said about the spread of gossip.

She and her husband had not eaten together after breakfast as Karna had several meetings with his ministers. Anga was a newly independent kingdom and moreover his absence for a long time meant that state work would be his peak priority for sometime.

She decided to walk around the palace and get to know it better. The staff was very respectful towards her.

She kept walking through the long corridors when she two strong voices speaking in disagreement about something. She walked towards the source and noticed a door to one of the chambers slightly ajar.

She was about to pass by knowing what she was doing is wrong but stopped when she recognized one of the voices was of her husband's.

"No guptachar there was no other way out" he said.

"But Maharaj people are now gossiping about you and the queen. They are not too pleased with you that you took in a formerly married woman. Rumours and news have spread very fast. It is going to be difficult reestablishing their faith in you."

"Gossip will die down after some time and moreover Anga is now independent and so there will be several new reforms in the country now"

"Maybe but we have to work. But maharaj... may I ask you a question..... well.... Um you could have rescued the maharani and then left her at her father's place .... That way-"

"No guptacharji I had considered it but then realized it was not feasible. As it is my intervention would have raised eyebrows at our relationship and then in her anger she severed ties with her husband. I had to marry her to prevent her reputation from being tarnished and also that of her father's. Even if I had not married her a few weeks would pass and nobody would care about me. I would go back to my normal life but society is not so forgiving towards women. Her life would have been ruined and I would never have been able to forgive myself"

"Maharaj you are truly great. I honestly didn't think of all this"

"Now you see.."

She heard their voices coming closer to the door and decided to leave before being caught.