54. In Light and Dark

Draupadi blinked trying to make out her surroundings while stretching her arms simultaneously. She pulled herself to a seating position and rested her back on the plush pillows, letting her mind wander.

The bright blue sky spotted with white and bejeweled by the afternoon sun as she had shut her eyes to in an untimely nap, was now painted in shades of purple and pink, with dark patches blotting across the firmament.

The disastrous discussions with her father, the emotional conflicts raking her mind, the harsh realizations of her place and purpose in life, the weathered and beaten down look on her brother's face, the angry sarcastic comments her husband and father shot at each other, her nearly losing consciousness—in short the eventful afternoon came pounding down on her with a culminating effect, stopping at the last with the memory of her husband smiling and laughing lightly at her bringing out one jewel after the other, adorning her body.

She sat upright at the image flashing across her mind, looking down at herself and then sighed in relief- she was still fully clothed. She tenaciously turned her gaze to the other side of the bed-it was empty- she leaned back letting out her breathe she had been unconsciously holding.

"Aarya are you here?" she called out softly, only to be met with silence indicating she was the lone inhabitant of the room.

She stepped down from the bed. There was the sound of wood creaking. She assumed it was the bed, not bothering to look towards the door, instead she eyed the chandeliers and candle stands and fire stands with some annoyance. They were still unlit and darkness had already started to set in.

She was mentally preparing a lecture for the domestic staff about the particular neglect  in their duty when a mild cough distracted her attention. She turned in the direction the door. Karna was leaning against the door frame, a tiny smile playing on his lips while his eyes bore a knowing look.

She gave a slight nod in acknowledgement, unable to think of anything else. What was he doing here? How long had he been standing there? Why was—?

"Panchali don't think about reprimanding the palace staff" Karna said, trying hard to stifle a giggle "I asked them not to light the lamps in the chamber until you were awake?"

"Oh...I understand...Thank you Aarya... good you told me this..." she stuttered, suddenly feeling unusually shy in his presence, "I would have scolded them..needlessly...of course..."

"Oh Panchali. Your sleep has not yet worn off" Karna laughed "Anyway it is good I did not also have to wake you up after the grueling task you put me to in the afternoon."

Karna was glad of the darkness falling in, he could continue enjoying the flustered look on his wife's face while she would not notice his amused smirk, not entirely at least. He would not take the risk of being the subject of Yagnaseni's fury.

"It is okay, Panchali" he answered laughing inwardly, "I have no option but to obey."

"Why did you come here?" she asked, trying hard not to obviously stare in her effort to see him better in the ebbing light, "Let me call the daasis to light the fires—"

"Don't worry I have told them" he said after regaining his serious demeanour, "Also, I came to tell you that your brother wants to speak to you. He is waiting for my call."

Now Draupadi blinked, watching him expressionlessly for a few seconds while he gesturing with a hand to someone and before long the chamber was being slowly light up, enhancing the visibility of her husband's form to her eyes.

She noticed now that he was dressed in the manner he did when training, simple and light with any jewellery. Her eyes focused to his face, the lustrous black hair was crimping at the ends evidencing not much time had passed after they had been damped...with sweat. From the content glow on his face, she could safely conclude that he had a fulfilling weapon practice session.

"Panchali..." Karna called quietly startling her out from her train of thoughts.

She looked at him quizzically as he pointed towards the pile of gold ornaments. She nodded at him as she hurriedly set about to put on some, absolutely necessary pieces, setting her hair and clothes.

Satisfied with the decent reflection of herself in the mirror she turned to her husband who had been waiting patiently. He nodded as he proceeded out of the chamber to return again after sometime, with her brother walking behind.

Dhristyadyumna sent her a pleasant smile and after exchanging some words with her husband, was seated in front of her. She noticed the lines that had developed on his forehead as he looked around commenting on some relic or plant or something that caught his interest.

Draupadi smiled sadly at his wearied form as he struggled to find an opening for their conversation. She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, trying to reassure him but her brother refused to meet her gaze.

"I am sorry, my dear sister" he said, still looking down, trembling faintly.

Draupadi shook her head, her eyes brimming with tears, her fingers underneath her brother's chin already moist.

--------------------------------

Hello everyone

Do let me know what you liked most and what you expect next? Do you think Karna and Draupadi will open up to each other soon or will it still take some more time? 

Hope you enjoy the chapter! ❤❤