62. Conversing of the Future? -1

Karna hands fisted, the sheet of paper pressed inside the fists met a crumpled fate. He had been reading and rereading it for the entire evening. The discussions with Drupad, however much disastrous, had some truth in them.

The developmental and welfare works he had undertaken in Anga were a channelization of the confusion and chaos he had been harbouring in his mind since that ill fated gambling match. He knew he could not be passive for long but he also knew that he could not take up a stance without much careful deliberations.

He let out a frustrated sight, resisting the urge to mess up the other piles of papers and documents that remained untouched on the grand table.

'I have to speak to Panchali. She deserves to at least have some say in this' he mused staring at the letter from Dhritarashtra, 'She can even help me in this regard.'

He stood up resolutely sending the chair screeching back. He picked up his angavastra (upper garment) which he had carelessly dropped on a nearby couch before he proceeded to the majestic sandalwood doors of his study.

The servants understand their King's moods well enough by now to know when to get out of his way and this time they were quicker as he practically stormed through the corridors finally halting outside his wife's private chambers.

He knocked once and then without waiting for any response, pushed them open. His wife was sitting in front of the dressing unit, attired for bed, looking lost as her maids were tying her hair in a loose braid. She did not seem to have noticed him, while all the servants were already bowing in respect.

"Panchali" he called out while simultaneously waving his hand sending the staff out of the chamber. Draupadi now looked up at him wearing a quizzical expression.

"Panchali we have waited long enough" he said expressionlessly, his worry occluded mind not finding any other way to open the conversation.

He watched her eyes widen in confusion, then shock and then even fear. He frowned mentally wondering what he had said to perturb her thus but he quickly pushed away the thought, there were more important things to sort out.

"Panchali" he called again as he sat down on the couch near the balcony, the cool breeze ruffling through his shiny hair, "Come sit here."

"Yes Aarya?" she questioned trying to keep her voice steady as she took her seat next to him, "What brought you here?"

"We need to discuss some things of paramount importance" he answered, watching again with confusion the relief that spread through her pretty face, "Firstly I need to know what you want."

"What I want?" She asked slowly, speculating if her brother had indeed spoken to him after their talk before cautiously articulating her next words, "In what regard?"

"In the regard of the future course of action" he replied calmly, "You see Panchali, everything I said about the neutrality of the country in the morning..."

Draupadi nodded intently while her fingers unconsciously resumed the work on the braid that the daasis (female servants) had left incomplete.

"About the neutrality of the country" Karna continued, "I cannot stand by that much longer. Things are bad outside. There is political turmoil and chaos and in this situation I cannot maintain a neutral stance too long and for that I need your opinion too."

"And on what should I opinionate?" she asked dispassionately, she was still upset with the rumour of Suthanu's probable marriage and the wound Karna had inflicted on her brother worsened things.

"Don't act naïve Panchali" Karna said, his voice evidencing thinning patience, "You know very well what I am talking about. You should be grateful I am even bothering to hear you out on this matter—"

"Grateful?" she shot back coldly, her eyes glowing like red hot embers.

"Yes grateful" Karna retorted "And if we don't talk about this tonight we perhaps never would. I assume you are intelligent enough to understand that the events of the dyut sabha (gambling match) had far reaching consequences and we cannot turn our ba—"

"Dyut sabha" Draupadi hissed angrily rising from her seat, her lips curled into a mirthless smile while her eyes were possessed by a dangerous glaze, "Dyut sabha. Dyut sabha. Dyut sabha."
----------------

----------------

Hello everyone

I know this is a short chapter but since I received many DMs asking for the next chapter, I decided to roll out whatever was completed thus far. It also helps me to entwine your iopinions into the story.

before we proceed any further, Karna and Draupadi need to talk some things out between themselves, if not fully at least to some extent. Do let me know what you liked best and what you expect next?

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please vote and comment generously!:)❤❤