4. More than a Sutputra ?

"Mata Radha"

Radha swiftly turned around and ran to her son.

"Karn tell me everything clearly. There have been so many rumours and news. Tell me what is the truth?"

'Yes mata I am going to marry Panchali, the Princess of Panchal and that too as quickly as possible and take her away to Anga."

"But my son she insulted you at her swayamvara' his father said concerned.

"She did and I have not yet forgotten that but in the circumstances there was no choice for me. I had to uphold my chivalry and protect her dignity"

"My son I am proud of what you did for her at the assembly but I fear that you do this not just to protect her but also because you want her to see you as more than a sutputra. Maybe you haven't realized this but I am only concerned about your happiness"

She looked at him tenderly. Her son had faced so many injustices in life and she wanted to do her best to keep him happy and safe. She understood that her son had had indeed not thought about her latter apprehension and drew him for a hug.

"Karn your marriage is a big occasion for us. An important milestone for both you as well as us as parents but.."

"But what pitashri?"

"But Karn we had thought you always wanted to marry for love. It saddens us to think that you are having to make such a huge sacrifice" his mother completed.

"I understand your fears very well and even I am afraid but it seems destiny had made its plans for me like this and I have to go on with the flow"