6. The Wedding

Kunti and Gandhari sat in the dark together with only the light of a few diyas. No words needed to be spoken. They had fallen into the abyss of the unknown and knew not how to deal with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Soon enough the day of her wedding came. She was silent through out the preparations. Kunti and Gandhari had come to help her and assured her of being there for her. She was dressed in resplendent red and gold sarree and stunning gold ornaments sent to her by Karn. She had been surprised at the extravanganza as he had said it would be a highly private affair but said nothing. If her to be husband wanted her to be dressed in a certain way who was she to refuse.

The wedding was indeed a small affair as Karna had said with only his parents, Kunti, Bhisma and Vidura, Dhritarashtrya and Ghandhari and surprisingly even Duryodhan in attendance. She had been shocked to find him there but kept her composure. She would be far away from him soon enough.

The elders were perplexed not knowing whether to be happy or sad about the occasion. They could only hope for the best especially for the unfornate girl cursed so many times by so many people for their own weaknesses.

She looked up at Karna dazzling like the sun. The irony of the situation did not go unnoticed by anyone. There stood the same man she had once publicly rejected on account of his birth disregarding his capabilities and now she stood before him with a garland in hand.