1. The Infamous Dice Game

The dice hall echoed with the wails of the fireborn lady. He winced as the cries came nearer watching with horror stricken eyes as Draupadi was dragged in brutally.

"You have to rise today Karna. Rise for the honour of a woman even if she insulted you. You are a warrior Karna. Rise today!" his inner self cried to him.

"Such woman are Vaishyas" he spoke out suddenly. He stole a glance sideways where the Pandavas were seated puppets. He grimaced.

Dushhashan and Duryodhan kept hurling abuses and insults at the helpless woman lying face down at the centre of the hall.

He made another attempt "She is married yet like a widow. Her five protectors are sitting there like statues"

Only Duryodhan'scackle broke the silence that ensued followed by the jeering and hooting of his brothers but not a word from the Pandavas. He could only glare at them.

He didn't know if it was partially hatred that gave him the strength to bring those foul words to his mouth but had to instigate her husbands.

But as Dushashan began disrobing her something snapped within him. A fire was burning in him and it allowed him to stay passive no more.

Draupadi's head was dizzy when she suddenly felt the tugging stop and the sound of someone being pushed down came to her ears. She tried balancing herself to stand straight but her legs felt weak. She could see the ground coming closer as black spots began blotting her vision when she felt a halt. Two strong arms had broken her fall and were now steadying her and a deep voice beside her said "Enough" strong and firm.

Once she was recovered enough she saw the entire assembly stunned and gaping. Dushanna was lying on the floor looking clueless. Her husbands wore undecipherable expressions while the elders equally surprised had a trace of gratefulness in their features. But what gave her incomparable shock was when she realized that the hands that had caught hold of her and steadied her belonged to none other than Angraj Karn!

"Draupadi..." he said softly to her. She could see the concern on his face but could say nothing.

He turned to the assembly once again. The shock had begun subsiding and Duryodhan spoke first.

"My friend Karn, what are you doing?"

"Doing what befits the station of a king. Putting a stop to this indecency before limits are crossed my friend" He replied.

"She is a slave Karn. There is no need to—"

"Don't refer to her as that. She is a gentlewoman born a princess and married to princes and-"

"I am married to no one" Draupadi's voice boomed through hall. Now everyone including Karn looked on in utter disbelief. Kunti and Gandhari entered that very moment and were aghast at her words.

"When my husband lost himself he became a slave and also his right over me. I am not their wife anymore." She continued "I am not anybody's anymore. I curse this assembly to-"

"No Draupadi. Don't curse" Gandghari interjected "These men here today have shown the heights of indecency but you be different from them. A woman who creates can never destroy. Draupadi you are far better than them."

"Draupadi my sons will avenge your dishonor but please-"Kunti too pleaded.

"Your sons have no more obligations towards me Mother. I diassociate all my ties with them" she declared.

The whole assembly was stunned. The Pandavas were horrified while Kunti cried.

"Draupadi please give us a chance" Arjun finally spoke up.

"How will you avenge me. You are a slave of the enemy" she cut him.

"Hahahaha" Duryodhan laughed menancingly.

"Draupadi I am the King of hastinapur and I apologise to you on behalf of my sons" Dhritarashta finally spoke up "please forgive them. I grant you three boons. Ask for anything"

"First free my former husbands and then return my former husbands their wealth"

"No that is impossible. If we return them their wealth father they will definitely mount an attack on Hastinapur"

"I will return the Pandavas only their freedom and part of their wealth but Indraprasth and its army will remain under Hastinapur. Draupadi my child ask something for yourself"

"That would be enough your majesty. I don't want anything for myself. Please don't insist"