47. Negotiations -1

"Maharaj Drupad, I would request you, as our honoured guest, to start the discussion" Karna began taking charge, once they were all seated comfortably, "Please present your views."

Everyone's gaze turned to the middle aged king, slowly entering into his advancing ages. Draupadi watched her father start with his speech, anxiously praying for all misunderstandings to be washed away to usher in a new, happier beginning.

"Angraaj as you know both Panchal and Anga have very strong standing armies and highly talented warriors" Drupad began gazing meaningfully at Karna when at the word 'warrior'.

Karna just placed his hands underneath his chin indicating deep contemplation while mentally remarking that this was the ruler of the same kingdom which had allowed his public humiliation on regards of his caste to stand. But well, it was past now, and the present had bigger issues to be resolved.

"And with our combined strength we can be undefeated in our plots against our enemies" Drupad continued only to be interjected by Mahamantri Harish.

"Pardon me, your majesty, but Anga refuses to move beyond strengthening of border security and emergency help" the latter added while Karna nodded in agreement, "Deliberate plotting against 'enemies' does not come under our purview yet."

"But we must bring it then" Drupad countered hastily "What use is the proposed alliance then!"

"Maharj Drupad, the kingdoms have merely drawn up their desired agendas" Karna spoke calmly "We are yet to negotiate on the alliance we should form."

"In that case this is what we need to negate" Drupad said.

"But I am sorry, Anga cannot enter into deliberated plans of revenge" Karna retorted "I shall not compromise the neutrality of the country."

"Neutrality?" Drupad questioned, mockery evident in his tone "Or isolated in uncertainty?"

"Maharaj Drupad you may perceive it however you desire" Karna nearly hissed "But I stand firmly on my country's neutrality. I am not dragging my people in thoughtless wars to satiate mere personal vengeances."

Both of them were shooting icy glares at each other through the dangerous silence pervading the chamber. Draupadi watched them anxiously, noting that everyone else present also shared the same nervousness as her.

"Angraaj" Drupad said in cold voice "You call yourself a Ksatriya?"

There was a collective gasp from the nobility present. Draupadi was horrified at that statement from her father. She did not dare look at her husband. She knew he must be greatly hurt.

"No I don't" Karna said slowly piercing the tension soaked air, "I have always defined myself as a Suta and I am proud of my parents who have raised me so lovingly. Perhaps you should take tips from the social policies of Anga which has developed so much after the reforms."

He waved his hand gesturing to the dignitaries from his side to leave. What he was afraid of had happened and he didn't want his courtiers to watch the family quarrel that was soon to start. Drupad seemed to also have understood and he too dismissed his diplomats.

Now it was just the four of them. Draupadi couldn't push away the tiny wish that arose in her, for her elder sister, at the moment. Sikhandini would have understood her and been another sane voice at her side. But, no, of course nobody would bring along a daughter of the house to another daughter's place who has been remarried and that too under the most unfortunate of circumstances.

"Angraaj, don't you harbor any desire to avenge my daughter's dishonor?" Drupad questioned staring straight into his eyes.

"First, kindly make one thing clear to me, Maharaj Drupad" Karna replied coolly, giving him a look of disdain. "Is it your daughter's humiliation you want to avenge or your own at the hands of the Kuru princes trained under Guru Drona...your old friend?"

Karna watched Drupad pale and then gape slightly in shock. He knew he had hit the mark. He had been suspicious of Drupad's paternal love and desire to see his daughter, as the latter had mentioned in his letter. And now, he could see truth revealing itself before him.

Karna quickly glanced sideways at his wife. Her shoulders had stiffened despite the weighty ornaments which appeared to be digging into her skin. Her face too was drained off any colour. He frowned faintly. This was why he had asked her to keep out of this but if she was not going to be one to listen, he could not be one to protect her.

"I have committed no crime in trying to kill two birds with one stone" Drupad spoke up, his eyes set amidst some indistinct wrinkles, flashing in anger, "But you, Angraaj, you have tricked my daughter into marrying you, snatching away my biggest assets. I know this is one big conspiracy you have hatched with Duryodhan to diminish my strengths and alliances against Drona and the Kurus. And my daughter with her quick temper and impulsiveness, foolishly walked into this elaborate trap."

-------------------------