19. Changes and Changing Courses

"Aarya you..." And she was lost for words yet again.

"Panchali I got you something" he whispered as he brought out a silk pouch "These were my grandmother's most treasured possessions. She had reserved it for her eldest grandson's wife."

She gently touched the pair of anklets. They were beautiful- shining gold, elegant design, intricately laid with tiny shimmering stones.

"She is no more here to give them to you herself and so my mother..." he continued.

She noticed his eyes had become slightly misty.

"Aarya do you think your grandmother would be happy that now her anklets are being passed on to me?"

"Yes of course Panchali. She would have been most pleased."

She smiled, blushing a little.

"My mother sent them last week. I intended to give them to you on Navratri but decided today would be better."

"Oh but why so Aarya?"

"Panchali I noticed today you were upset about something when we came across each other this morning. So I wanted to ask what could have been the botheration?"

"Oh that time..."

"Yes Panchali. Tell me what happened?"

"Well... I just got annoyed that..." she looked at him unsure how to continue. Suddenly she felt she had behaved so childishly then.

"That?" Karna pressed "Don't hold back."

"That you let me go so easily" she rushed out the words.

She had never seen him shoot up his eyebrow higher before.

"I mean..." she began "That one doesn't simply tell their wife to go when she asks him to let her go. You see-"

"Okay so I will keep that in mind" he stated, nodding his head still confused.

She began fidgeting awkwardly in the silence that ensued. She couldn't believe she had acted so stupidly right now. How childish she must have sounded.

Suddenly she found his smooth soft hands on her own.

"Panchali" he started as he gently opened her fist containing the anklets "You wanted more."

His lips quirked up at her at the enormity of surprise and pure confusion that drowned her at the moment.

"Aarya what are you doing?" she gasped as he knelt down on one knee before her.

He let out a soft laugh as he lifted one of her feet and placed it on his knee.

Draupadi's lips couldn't form a word as he adorned her feet with the anklets.

"They look beautiful on you" he whispered looking into her now perplexed eyes with his heavenly smile gracing his lips.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shri Krishna, my daughter's life took such a toss and I haven't even seen her since the Rajsuya Yagna of Yudhistir" Drupad's voice was unsteady "And Angraj hasn't even sent word for me to visit."

"Let time unravel itself Maharaj Drupad" said the tall man wearing his crown uniquely with a peacock feather "You need to have patience"

"But Shri Krishna don't you think you are confusing patience with passivity."

"Maharaj impulsiveness should also not be confused with activity."

Krishna's ethereal smile never failed in casting magic on those around him.

"Shri Krishna my daughter had married five men before and now has remarried the man she herself had rejected and that man also happens to be the mortal enemy of Arjun.The lines of loyalty and enmity have messed up... "

"Maharaj we can never fully have complete knowledge of anything. The lines of enmity and brotherhood are always blurred"

"Yes Angraj stood up for her and everything but we have shared only a few formal communications. I have no clue how he is treating my daughter nor have I heard from her. How she is doing, what will be her future..."

"Maharaj Drupad I can understand your concerns as a father. But have faith in my sakhi, she is a strong woman. She was born with so many predictions. Big changes will befall on Aryavart but now they have taken a different turn from what was predicted and we have to change course accordingly."