Chapter 26

He makes direct eye contact with me. His light blue eyes are so prominent, even from so far away. His jawline is sharper than it used to be. He has more facial hair and his muscles look slightly bigger. It looks like he lost his small beer belly and it is now replaced by at least fifteen pounds of muscle. His eyes squint and his lips are curved upward. He's smiling.

"Sky? Who is that?" Cole says, noticing my staredown.

I want to speak. I open my mouth but my vocal cords refuse to work. My throat is closing up and I can no longer breathe. I can feel my lungs stop working and my chest no longer rises over and over.

"Skylar, breathe. Look at me," Jake says, now standing in front of me.

Nothing. No oxygen can enter my lungs.

"Her face is turning purple, do something," Dylan shouts at Jake.

Jake grabs my face with one hand and takes my right hand with his other. He places my hand on his chest.

"Here, match your breathing to mine." I feel the air entering his lungs and I desperately want mine to do the same.

"Someone do something," Dylan yells to the crowd of people.

Everyone's attention is not on me. The hundreds of people packed into this room are all focused on me and my panic attack.

"Please Skylar, in and out," Jake begs.

I start to see stars in the corner of my eyes. My limbs feel heavier and I can no longer stand. I feel myself losing consciousness. My eyelids are begging to be closed but I try to fight to keep them open.

Before I know it I'm laying on the gym floor and some kind of plastic equipment is pushing air in my mouth. The burning I once felt in my chest is now replaced by a cool sensation. My lungs begin to work again. My vision focuses again and I see a giant crowd of people around me.

Zach is sitting on his knees by my side. His arms are out hovering over my chest. He looks like he is ready to perform CPR.

"Oh, thank god," I hear Dylan breathe out.

Once I finally feel the normalcy of my breathing I reach to take off the plastic mask, but before my hand even brushes against the plastic it is pushed away.

"Keep it on," Zach scolds.

"I'm okay. I can breathe again."

Just keep it on for a few more minutes, your face is still very blue. Your brain needs more oxygen." Zach explains.

I nod understanding.

"Everyone give her some space please," I hear my coach say to the crowd.

Everyone seems to be listening except Xander, Vivian, Summer, Zoey, Oliver, and Liam. I see them with worried looks on their faces.

"Please back away," The coach repeats to them.

"We are not moving," Xander says.

"It's okay, guys. You can go, I'll be alright." I say through my oxygen mask. It probably came out a bit muffled but I didn't care, they got the point.

"No," they all answered simultaneously, except Liam. He didn't open his mouth, he just looked angry. What right does he have to be angry, I don't even know the guy.

"Please leave us," Jake says to my friends. "She will text you later. We would like to take her home now."

They all turn their attention to Jake and I see their expressions change from worried to look like they are about to poop their pants.