Chapter 11

I looked around, scanning my bedroom. It's still dark outside and there is sweat covering my body. I feel hot, really hot, like a sauna. Trapped. I'm trapped. There is no getting out of this one. It was a dream, I was just dreaming. I'm safe here. Their eyes keep following me. Every time I look up to see their faces their reactions don't change. It's a mixture of anger and concern.

"What the hell was that?" Dylan yells. He waits for my response while I swallow the lump of fear in my throat. I don't know what to say.

"A nightmare," I whisper.

"That was not a nightmare. That looked like you were being attacked." he choked out.

"Dylan, give her a break. She looks like she's seen a ghost." Zach says.

Ben jumps next to me in my bed and Jake takes a seat by my feet. The blanket is not helping the intense heat I feel right now. I fling the warm, fuzzy blanket off my burning body. It makes a weird sound as it's peeled off because it was stuck to my legs. I sit up fully now.

"Skylar?" Jake announces, and I turn my head to look at him. "Do you want to tell us what that was about?" His eyes look gentle and loving, which is rare.

I shake my head uncontrollably and start to shake again. My eyes have a coat of water around them. I feel the glossiness about to spill over but I close my eyes and take a breath. 1...2...3...open. The feelings are still there but I think I've managed to hold off the tears for a few more minutes.

"Has this ever happened before?" Cole asks, picking up my hand and rubbing soothing circles on my skins.

The rest of the boys make sure not to touch me but I'm glad Cole feels comfortable enough to do this. It's not much but it's a step forward. He is by far the most sensitive one. He always knows what to say. I look up into his eyes. The blue and green lines around his dilated pupil stare into my eyes. It's like I'm in a trance when I talk to him. I just feel so secure and want to pour out my heart and soul to him. Jake is similar but he is more scary than emotional.

"I don't think so," I let out in a quick breath.

"You can tell us what happened whenever you're ready, but we are here if you need to," Zach adds.

"I don't think you should go to school tomorrow," Jake states.

That took a turn and somehow this situation got even worse. He can't do that. I just started how I am supposed to miss even more school.

"Wait, why?" I ask.

"Because it is 3 a.m. and you have to wake up in around three hours," he answers.

"Please, Jake," I beg. "I just started school and I like it. I can't miss anymore, I already started late."

He takes a second to think. I can see the gears in his brain moving as he thinks about my request.

"Do you think you can handle it?" his tone switches from stern to more brotherly and scared.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay then. We have to talk about this tomorrow after school. For now, do you want someone to stay with you while you go back to sleep?"

Taking a second to weigh my options I decide to give a weak nod. I know it sounds crazy but I'm scared. What if Nick climbs through my window and kills me. It won't happen, well at least the rational part of me believes that, but the other side of my brain is making up different ways he can break into the house and hurt me and my brothers.

"Feel better. Good night," Zach calls from the door of my room before leaving.

Ben gives me a tight squeeze and then departs from the circle of boys and, of course, me. Cole gives me a sad smile and ruffles my hair.