Chapter 29

I drop my pencil on my desk, making quick tapping sound on the metal, and walk up to the teacher desk.

"Here, I finished," I say, handing her my test.

"Finished already?" She asks.

"Yeah," I answer her stupid question. Of course, I finished, why else would I being handing in my test?

"Okay, you can leave if you want. Have a nice rest of your day." She ends her sentence with a big smile. Odd. She isn't usually the happiest person. She is the kind of teacher that is super grumpy and hates everyone but at the same time will talk to you for hours if you don't interrupt her.

"Thank you," I say while I grab my bag from the floor and make my way out of the room.

I walk down the familiar hallway towards my locker. I count the large tiles on my floor for the hundredth time.

"21, 22, 23, 24..." I whisper under my breath.

Before I know it, I collide right into a person. I drop my phone on the floor and hear a crack. Oh no. I bend down to my knees and flip my phone over to see the inevitable damage. Great. A giant crack fills the entire screen. Beginning to panic, I try to turn my phone on to see if it even remotely works. Nope, nothing.

"Oh, my goodness, I am so sorry!" the girl I walked into says.

"No, no, it's completely my fault, I wasn't looking where I was walking."

"Me either. I am so sorry."

"Really, it's okay," I reassure her, but also reassure myself. It is just a phone, I can live without one, right? If my brothers find out, they are going to kill me.

The girl walks away after whispering another apology to me. I continue down to my locker and get the last of my things before going to the front of the school. I really hope none of them text me. They always get mad when I don't answer their texts.

"Is your phone okay?" I hear a voice over my shoulder.

"Um, yeah, it's fine," I answer, turning around. Liam. Of course, it's fricken Liam. "So, you saw me walk right into her?"

"Yeah, I totally did," he says scratching the back of his head. "But in your defense, she also wasn't paying any attention."

"Oh." This is awkward. What do I say? "How was the math test? Do you think you did well?" Perfect, ask about a test. Great Job.

"Yeah, it was easy. How about you?"

"It was fine." What do I say now? I'm not usually this bad with talking but for some reason this boy makes me so flustered. Thankfully the bell saves me but ringing its hideous noise.

"That's my cue. See you around, Skylar."

"Bye," I say so quietly it sounds like a whisper.

I speed walk out of the hallway trying to get to the parking lot as soon as possible. I need to get to the car before anyone texts me to hurt up. I hate making them wait for me.

"Skylar! Where are you going so fast?" Zoey asks running after me.

"Home?" I say, in more of a question.

"You and," she starts trying to catch her breath from the three feet she just ran, "and Liam?" she finally finishes.

"What about it?"
"What do you mean 'what about it', you have a major crush on him."

"Shut up, I do not."

"Okay, whatever you say," Zoey responds sarcastically.

"I have to go now. Talk to you later."