Chapter 5

I'm here sitting on the floor trying my hardest not to scream bloody murder while my life is about to fall apart for the hundredth time this week. They are about to find out my biggest secret. They will never see me the same. I will forever be broken in their eyes. I will be like a piece of glass that might shatter at any moment.

"I'm going to bring you to the couch, Sky. I know it hurtS but we can't just leave you on the floor." Cole says. I can't respond so I just look up at him teary-eyed. I sense my breathing becoming slower and more labored and I'm scared I'm going to pass out.

Cole brings his big hands under my small body and lifts me with ease. He tries to be as careful as possible. I can see the concentration in his eyes.

"Skylar, you have to stop moving. It's only going to hurt more." Cole says gently as I try to wiggle out of his tight hold. I stop moving because I know he is right.

He brings me down to the couch as Zach props up the pillows so I can lay on them. The cold leather touches my skin as Cole lowers me down. I feel the stares of three of my brothers as they wait for Jake and Ben to come back. The house is quiet, which means I'm just alone with my thoughts. I thought I would have a little longer before Jake arrived because he was on the other side of the house, but I was very wrong.

"Where is she?" Jake growls. I hear his voice behind my head and his footsteps make the room slightly vibrate. I decide to just focus on the lights. My eyes are glued to the ceiling and the voice around me is just distant echoes in my mind.

"She fell down the stairs but when we came a few seconds later she was holding her ribs, but she fell on her back. It doesn't make sense." Cole explains the whole situation to Jake.

"Skylar, look at me," Jake says in a soft tone while making me focus on his face. I look at the details of his face, like his ocean blue eyes staring into mine and his slightly creased forehead showing his concern. I turn to the rest of my brothers just staring down at me. Cole looks scared, Zach looks worried, and Dylan just looks angry. Ben walks back into the room muttering swear words to himself.

"Just tell us what happened already!" Dylan shouts, making me move further away from him and the rest of my brothers.

"Calm down," Cole whispers to Dylan.

"Dylan leave the room! Now!" Jake says in his cold authoritative voice. His attitude switch is so quick it's hard to keep up with. The walls in the room seem to become closer. The air is becoming thicker. Just as I think I'm about to fall into another panic attack Jake puts its hand on my head. He pulls his fingers gently through my hair trying to calm me down. Somehow his warm fingers pull me out of my trance and I'm able to see everything clearer. His eyes are digging his way deep into my head but I just close them trying to keep my feelings deep down.

"No, I'm staying. If she won't tell us the truth, I'll force it out of her."

"Zach, take Dylan to the kitchen before I have to take himself." The tone of Jake's voice sends shivers down my spine even though he only spoke in a whisper. My vision is starting to become blurry from the tears I'm trying so hard to keep inside.

Dylan finally leaves the room with Zach. Ben, Cole, and Jake are left. I can do this. I can keep this secret, I just need to come up with a believable excuse.

"Skylar, I can't force you to tell me everything, but I hope as your brother and guardian, you can trust me enough, and feel comfortable enough, to tell me what happened," Jake says while he continues to weave his long fingers in my hair.

I want to trust him. But the last time I trusted someone was Nick, and that did not turn out well. My instincts seem to be deceiving and I can't trust myself to make the correct decisions. I won't let what happened with Nick happen again. I refuse. But something about Jake making everything in my body wants his approval and love. I want to trust him so badly but I can't let myself spiral down that dark tunnel again. All the sadness and tears wasted over nothingness and people pretending to love me. But the truth is no one does love me. I'm all alone.