Chapter 31

The rest of the car ride is silent, besides my small hiccups that I can't seem to escape. When we get back to the house I just want to crawl into the embrace of my warm sheets and sleep forever, but I can't seem to move. I'm stuck in the carseat unable to get up. I don't even have the strength to unbuckle myself.

"Come, Sky, let's go inside. It's getting cold," Cole says, softly.

I don't even look at him, let alone obey his request. My limbs are too heavy and my legs won't listen to my brain shouting at them to lift me up. It's like im parlyzed and a million weights are holding my down.

"Do you want to stay here for a little longer?" Cole asks.

Somehow I am able to shake my head, barely a sentiment to the left. Cole sees, thankfully.

"Can you move yourself, or do you want me to carry you inside?" he asks.

Words. Who knew how hard it would be for your vocal chords to let out a simple sound? Well, not me. Not even a whimper is able to escape my throat.

"Come, let's go inside." Cole says, as he drags my body closer to the outside of the car.

Acknowledging the familiar feel of my brother I don't flinch and I let him carry me into the house. Jake holds the door open for Cole as he lays down on the couch in the living room.

"Do you want to sleep in here for now? Or do you want to go upstairs?"

"Here," I say in barely a whisper.

"Okay, I'll be right here if you need me. We are not leaving you." Cole says, gesturing over to Jake as well.

I hear their strong footsteps walk over towards the other couch and take a seat. I let out a breath and let my eyes relax. Just a couple minutes and then I'll move to my room. Just a couple minutes.

My eyes open. I roll over trying to reach my nightstand like usual but somehow I faceplant straight into the carpet. I let out a small ouch and tried to pick myself off the group. I dramatically roll onto my knees and use the couch as a crutch.

"Skylar?" I hear a voice say.

"Jake?"

"Yeah, when did you wake up?"

"Just now, why?"

"Are you okay? I heard a crash."

"Um, yeah. I just fell off the couch. Speaking of, why am I on the couch?"

"You fell asleep there a couple hours ago."

"What time is it?"

He looks at his watch and squints his eyes trying to read the tiny dials in the pitch black.

"4:30."

"Why did I sleep down here? I don't remember falling asleep."

"Wait, you don't remember?"
"Remember what?"

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"Um," I rack my brain trying to fit the pieces of some kind of puzzle together. "I remember being at dinner with everyone and then I asked you to go to the bathroom."

"Anything else?"
"Well, I heard a weird noise and then I went to go check the door and that's it I think. Why don't I remember coming home? Did I fall asleep or something?"

"Cole, wake up," Jake says.

"What?" he whines.

"Good morning to you too, brother."

"What do you want, it's too early for this."

"Skylar is awake."

"Sky, are you okay?"