Chapter 7

I wake up to the sun peeking through my windows. I groan as I lift my head that hurts a little from crying last night. I don't want to get out of bed but I'm curious about how my brothers will act like today. I lazily get out of bed. The wood creaks as I walk over to my bathroom. I do everything I have to get ready for and I feel very refreshed. I stare as the puffy-eyed girl in the mirror and barely ever recognize the person in the mirror. She looks so sad and defeated, but somehow I feel happy. I have no more secrets to keep. I may look like a mess but for the first time in so long, I don't feel like one. Today will be a good day.

I skip down the hallway and my Ben on the stairs. He smiles at me, says good morning, ruffles my hair a bit, and continues on his way. I saw the smile didn't reach his eye. His happiness looked fake. I know because I've used this look hundreds of times. Shaking the thought out of my head I continue walking to the kitchen.

"I think we should keep her home for another week, maybe even two before she goes back to school." I hear Zach say to Cole and Jake.

"I agree. She is still reliant on painkillers and I don't know if she is mentally ready for a new school right now," Jake replies.

Wanting to stop the conversation they are having, I walk into the kitchen. "Good Morning," I smile at all three of them.

"I think you should be saying good afternoon," Cole laughs.

"What do you mean? Is it past twelve?" I ask.

"It's nearly two," Jake states. I have never slept this late. I'm sure it was the exhaustion of last night."

"Do you want lunch?" Cole asks.

"I'm not hungry yet. I just woke up."

"I don't know why Cole asked. Your lunch is in the fridge. I'll heat it for you right now." Jake says in his bossy voice. Great, back to bossy, alpha male, Jake.

He doesn't always have to be uptight. But this time I don't mind as much because I can feel myself starting to feel hungry. I walk to the living room to scroll through social media while I wait for the food to heat up.

The microwave beeps and Cole yells, "It's ready! Come to the kitchen."

"Coming!" I call back.

It's grilled cheese. The steam is floating up from the sandwich and it feels my nostrils making my stomach rumble. Yum.

"Hmm, I thought you weren't hungry?" Cole teases. I can't help but stick my tongue out at him.

Looking back at my plate I devour the food. I get up and place the plate in the dishwasher. I leave the kitchen to see Jake and Cole in the living room whispering. I decide not to be rude and wait for their conversation to end. Fortunately, after a few seconds, Cole sees me and they both turn their attention to me.

"What's up, Sky?" Cole asks kindly.

"I was wondering if there was a uniform or anything for school tomorrow."

"You're not going to school tomorrow Skylar," Jake informs me.

I heard them talking about this before but I can't let them know I was eavesdropping. "Why can't I go? I thought you said I was starting tomorrow?"

"Well after everything that happened last night, we have concluded that starting school this week is not a good idea." Jake answers.

"I'm fine. I promise. I can go to school."

"What about your ribs? Are they still hurting?" Cole asks.

"Not that much. Only if someone puts a lot of pressure on it."