Chapter 9

I don't know why, but I think I'm excited. I've always liked school, just not the tests or homework part. I take a deep breath, put my hand on the cold metal handle, twist it open, and walk-in. I scan the room looking for open seats. I see a girl with brown hair who looks like she is scrolling through Instagram in the back. She looks friendly so I decided to sit next to her. While I put my bag down and take out my pencil case and a notebook I notice a couple more kids walk in. I take my seat and just wait for class to start.

The girl sitting next to me lifts her head, looks at me, and begins to introduce herself. "Hi, I'm Zoey. What's your name?"

"I'm Skylar. I love your phone case," I say, noticing her case with blue ombre sparkles on it.

We talk for a few minutes before the second bell rings indicating that class starts. As the bell is ringing a boy walks in. His dark brown eyes are captivating and he had flopping brown hair that looks like he didn't do it this morning but in a good way. He has freckles on his tan skin and he smiles noticing everyone in the room staring at him. Oh no, he is one of those cocky boys that know that he is attractive. Those are the worst kind of people. He slowly walks down the aisles and sits in the last empty desk in the classroom. Of course, it's next to me.

He's beautiful and all but those kinds of boys are not my type in the slightest. As he walks over to the seat next to me he starts staring into my eyes. I can't stop thinking about how attractive this man is. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn towards it. It's Zoey.

"He's hot isn't he?" She asks.

"Are you kidding me? I didn't know humans like that were allowed to exist!" I whisper- scream at her so he doesn't hear.

All she does is smile and nod. There have to be at least fifty girls fighting over this man if he doesn't already have a girlfriend.

"He doesn't have a girlfriend if that's what you're thinking," Zoey responds to my thoughts. We have known each other for two minutes and she can already read my mind. I think I may have just found my person.

"Excuse me, boys and girls. We have a new student if you haven't noticed yet" The teacher calls out from the front of the class. Every single head in the class turned in my direction.

I don't mind attention but this kind is uncomfortable. My hands start to sweat and I feel super warm all of a sudden. I can just tell this teacher is going to make me embarrass myself and stand up in front of the class. I hope I am wrong.

"This is Skylar. Welcome to Honors English," the teacher says, kindly giving me a warm smile. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was finally able to unclench my fists and wipe the sweat off my forehead. I took a deep breath and opened my notebook.

The class went on for around forty minutes straight of notes and the teacher lecturing us on what an allegory is. The bell rings and everyone leaps from their seats. I gather my things, put my backpack over my shoulder, and walk out of the room with Zoey beside me. We compare our schedules and it turns out we have every single class together. I am beyond happy that I have at least one friend in each class. We walk to biology together as she points to each classroom we pass. She tells me which teachers are her favorites and the best subjects. We talk so easily it is refreshing. Being smothered at home with my brothers was very hard. I felt so trapped there. I am so happy I got to live with them after everything that happened, but they are a tad protective.

We get to class and there are no open seats near Zoey. I start to feel a little nervous about having to stand in front of the class and ask the teacher where I should sit.