Chapter 35

Liam holds the door open for me and helps me climb into the car. His cologne fills the air of the car and I can't help but breathe in his scent deeply. His car is clean, not that it surprises me. It looks as if he just got it this week but I know that's not true because I've seen him drive this car for weeks.

"You should probably text whoever you came with that you are leaving," he informs me.

"Good idea," I say, taking out my phone to text in a chat with Xander, Oliver, and Zoey. I just know that tomorrow they will be pissed at me for leaving.

Liam looks at me but I can't tell why. His eyes move in the direction of my unbuckled seat belt. I reach over and put it on, strapping myself in.

"Do you know where I live?" I ask, wanting to know if he needs my address.

"Yeah."

I cock my head to the side wondering how. I've never seen him at the house and I've never seen him hang out with Dylan or Ben at school.

"How do you know where I live?" I ask, letting my curiosity get the best of me.

"Zach," he answers. That still doesn't really answer my question.

"How do you know Zach?"

"I've done some volunteering with him."

"Where?"

"The hospital."

"Oh." So many questions flood my mind. Why does he volunteer at a hospital? Doesn't Zach work for the clinic at the office? I'm so confused. I shake the thoughts away, deciding I should bug zach for information instead of Liam.

"You don't talk much do you?" I ask.

'I don't have much to say."

I decide its time to keep quiet. He doesn't seem like he wants to talk to me.

"Why were you at the party?" Liam asks, surprising me by speaking.

"What do you mean? Practically our whole school was there."

"You don't seem like the type to like parties."

"Well, you're right. This was my first one and it didn't go well," I answer, pointing to my bleeding nose.

"Something bad always happens at these things. I tried to

convince Evan not to go, but he insisted."

"Bad things happen?"

"Yeah. Last party a lot of shit went down and the school found out and a lot of people got in trouble." I flinch at his language. "What?" he asks.

"Nothing, don't worry."

"No, why did you flinch?" he asks, genuinely concerned.

"It's nothing, I just don't like those words."

"Why?"

"Just some bad memories," I say, trying to keep out as many details as possible.

He gets the message so he doesn't push any further. I look out the window and our surroundings look familiar. We are probably around 5 minutes away from my house by now.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Go for it," Liam answers.

"A couple days ago, in the hall, when you said that I, um," I stutter, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"Intrigue me?" He finished for me.

"Yeah. What did that mean?" I finally build up the courage to ask.

"Before I answer that I have a question for you."

"Okay," I say skeptically.

"What's the deal with you and Xander?" he says Xander's name as if it's laced in poison.

"Nothing, we are just friends. Why?" I ask, completely oblivious.

We finally reach my street. Liam pulls up right in front of my house. I pick up my purse from the floor and as I'm about to leave, Liam stops me.

"Is your nose still bleeding?" he asks.

I want to punch myself for thinking what I thought was about to happen. I wanted him to stop me from getting out of this car because he wanted to kiss me, not ask about my stupid bloody nose. I stare at him, angry, for him not realizing what I want.

"Skylar?" He questions.

Snapping out of my trance I pull the tissue away. Thankfully, there is no more blood. I put the back of my hand up to my nose to feel if there is anything left, just in case, but it's clean.

"No, I think it stopped.

"Good," he says, putting his hand behind my neck and pulling me close to him.

"I've been dreaming of this for weeks," he whispers into my mouth.

His lips softly touch mine, but his gentleness subsides after a brief two seconds. He pulls me even closer, moving his hands through my hair. Still shocked, it takes me a couple seconds to acknowledge that the moment I have been thinking of since my first day in Biology is now a reality. I drop my purse back down to the floor of his car and reach my hands to his hair. His fingers glide down from my head to my waist. Losing air I pull away for half a second but he pulls me right back. His tongue pushes through my lips asking for permission, and I grant it immediately. I slightly pull his hair and his lips move from my mouth to my neck. He trails small kisses down to my collar bone until I snap back into reality.

"Wait," I say, breathless.

"Good idea," he answers, pushing his hair back with his hands.

"That was-"

"Amazing," he answers for me.

"Yes." I breathe out. "But, we are right in front of my house and if anyone sees me be thrown into a dungeon never allowed to see you or anyone else ever again."

He laughs at my half serious joke.

"You're right, we should probably go."

He looks into my eyes in a different way than before. His blue eyes, still vibrant in the dark night sky, peer into mine. Wanting to stay in this car forever, I continue to stare for just a few more moments.

"I should go now," I say, trying my hardest to pull away from him. "See you in school?"

"Yes, I'll see you in school."

I grab my purse once again from the floor and as I'm about to open my door, Liam is already around the car opening it for me.

"Thank you for the ride, Liam."

"Anytime."

And just like that my not-so-fairytale evening ended with a kiss. Maybe not a true love's kiss, but it sure felt like it.