Chapter 32

We go upstairs together and when we get to the kitchen, I see the time on the microwave. 7:30. Perfect time to get ready for school. I leave the kitchen and I meet Jake on the stairs.

"Where were you?" He asks.

"Around," I answer.

"Obviously. Where is around?" he asks again.

"The gym," I mumble.

"Why are you being rude? I was looking for you."

"You obviously didn't look hard enough." I say as I continue up the stairs.

I get to my room without looking back. No way is this moment not going to come back and bite me in the butt, but I'm not in the mood for anyone or anything right now. I throw on the first outfit I can find not caring what I look like after a quick body shower. Gathering my school items, I stuff them into my bag and lay on my bed counting down until 8 o'clock.

I count the little ticks on the tiny clock application on my phone waiting for the exact time. Finally, 8. I hop out of bed, throw my bag over my shoulder and practically sprint to the front door so I don't have to see any of my brothers. I go outside to see if anyone is in the driveway. Thankfully, not a car or brother in sight. I glance in the direction of the garage and debate on whether or not I should just walk to school or take a car. I only have my permit so stealing a car, a fancy expensive one too, is probably not a great idea. I turn back to. Make sure no one is behind me and I turn the corner. No one stopping me now. Who would have thought it would be this easy to sneak out? School is around a fifteen-minute drive but thanks to many shortcuts from google maps, I think I can probably make it there in around half an hour. I take my headphones from my back and put them on trying to drown out the sounds of the passing cars. I put my playlist on shuffle and immediately relax. As I'm turning another corner I see a black BMW slowly trailing behind me. Suddenly thinking the worst I decide to take the next right also. What is it that they say? 4 right turns and if they are still following its not paranoia. Okay, then that's what I'm going to do. My speed starts to quicken but I'm still not running. Another turn. I peer over my shoulder again and the car is still there. Now I am jogging. I turn back again and the car is around 20 feet behind me. It's definitely following me. Should I call my brothers? I know I should but I just snuck out of the house and within five minutes I am already calling them. The car stops and I see someone about to step out of the passenger's seat. I turn back one last time and it's a man in a suit. A wave of relief passes over me as I see it's not Nick.

"Skylar," the man calls.

How the heck does he know my name? What if he works for Nick? I need to go right now. I start sprinting down the street and I see the man look at his wrist over my shoulder. What on earth is happening? I think now is the time to call Jake. I reach into my back pocket and pull out my phone. Crap. It's still broken.

I look up again and the man is hot on my trail. I turn another corner and there is another car coming towards me. As the car comes closer I recognize it. That's Cole's car. He stills next to me and Cole jumps out.

"Skylar, are you okay?" He asks, grabbing me.

"Person... chasing...me," I gasp, out of breath.

"Sky, that's your bodyguard."

"What?"

"You are safe, that is just your bodyguard."

"So," I gulp. "I'm okay?"

"Yes, you really think we would let you sneak out without being supervised?"

"Well, that is kind of what sneaking out entails."